1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seasonic confirms list of Haswell compatible power supplies

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Haswell... nah.. not much point in replacing the 2500K yet.. maybe next gen!

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I've only just replaced my core 2 quad q6850 extreme processor so, I don't think I can justify another new one just yet

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Have to ask

I have a core i7 950. It seems that more recent processors are only really incrementally faster, unless I do something like get a hex core CPU (and then I could just get a hex i7).

So what would I get by upgrading?

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Power efficiency (84W TDP vs 130W), native support for SATA 6Gbps/USB 3.0/PCIe 3.0, UEFI support and the fast booting goodness it brings as well as performance improvements and far more overclockability.

Not really an absolute must-have for Nehalem owners but definitely for Core 2 owners. You'll probably want to upgrade when Skylake rolls around though ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For gaming? Almost nothing. Only in severe edge cases (e.g. Civ V) will you notice any improvement in framerates (I haven't seen a CPU showdown using frame timing, but I suspect that is so GPU dependent it'd be a wash).

For other tasks? A bit of an improvement to a massive improvement. Specifically, encoding video and rendering images. If you don't do either of these, you needn't bother upgrading, but if you do encode video (and I mean properly with x264 and a decent CRF, quicksync may be fast but the picture quality is shite) you will see improvements from upgrading.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

one of the reasons I upgraded my core 2 proc, was I wanted to start playing with the new hyper-v stuff, only newer procs have the required virtualisation technologies.

Tags: Add Tags