1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second draft of new system.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nphekted, 9 Aug 2007.

1. nphekted

nphekted What's a Dremel?

Yep, it's another rate-my-build thread :blush:

This is my current proposed build, speced out to the best of my ability:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0)
    Asus Striker Extreme Asus Blitz Formula
    4x1GB of OCZ PC8500 / 1066MHz / 5-5-5-15
    Baseline BFG 8800GTX
    Scythe Infinity Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + Scythe S-Flex 1200
    150GB Raptor X
    850W Enermax EGA850EWL
    Lian Li V2000
    (I already have a TB of mass storage, X-Fi and DVD which will be carried over)

I will be overclocking, but won't be watercooling this system in the foreseeable future - is the RAM speed overkill? Are any components mismatched or out of proportion?

Cheers :thumb:

Last edited: 10 Aug 2007
  2. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

That a kickass PC right there. I can't really see much problems, apart from the small disk space. But that's not difficult to sort out.

3. nphekted

As I said, I'm carrying over a terrabyte of mass storage from my old system. I think that's enough :lol:

4. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Your system owns, more than enough in there to keep things running happily, and for Air cooling you picked a good case. What are you gonna cool the CPU with? In that case I'd say an Enzotech Ultra X would be great.

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Didn't read that, my bad.

6. nphekted

I opted for the Scythe Infinity based on Bits recent S775 HSF roundup. I'll have a look at that Enzotech (hopefully it fits in the Striker).

Does anyone else have suggestions on coolers?

Last edited: 9 Aug 2007
  7. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

looks good

personaly i would change the cooler for a thermalright ultra 120 extreme, and a sflex 1200 for quiet performance cooling. if it will fit in your case, its a monster.

but ditch the asus striker it is a absolute pig of a board if you are looking to do any fsb overclocking on that quad. will you actually use the fratures on it? i dont on mine. and its still expensive.

get a evga if you must have 680i chipset, its still the best for sli and quad core overclocking. or get a 680lt such as the dfi if you can live with out some features

if you dont plan to run sli get a p5k asus p35 chipset there better at quad overclocking than the 680i

8. nphekted

Thanks, looks like the Thermalright is a better choice :)

Does anyone else concur on the Striker being a pain to overclock? Last question, honest :p

9. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

The thermalright is a great cooler, but I've been put off by the problems people have had with improperly shaped bases, and flimsy mounts.

10. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

I would personally go for a asus p5k deluxe wifi app over the striker anyday.

11. nphekted

I've opted against SLi since the nVidia 9 series is due sooner rather than later, so I'm switching to a P35/DDR2 Asus Blitz Formula.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

12. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I've said this in another post but I will say it here too, the ATI HD2900XT 1GB is the newest one from ATI and on paper looks amazing. It's cheaper than the nVidia aswell. I didn't like ATI after I bought this crap gfx card, it's so old it's practically made of stone but it couldn't play simple games. But personally I am going to give them another chance with this £300 GPU and see what it is capable of!

13. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Pretty much every review I've read clearly shows that the 2900 is crap when compared to nvidia's equivilant.