1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Second Hand Hardware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2010.

1. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

My whole PC, apart from a pair of big HDs, is built from second hand parts. I upgrade it occasionally when I find a bargain [second hand] part on a forum (here, or somewhere like DVDF/AVF). I'm glad there are enough people who buy new bleeding edge equipment all the time and then sell me their perfectly good 'leftovers' :)

Keep it up, people!

(fwiw I'm running a 4200 X2 939 and a radeon 4770 atm, which is perfectly adequate for me but probably sounds pitifully slow to most of you)

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I only buy parts from forums and I've never had a problem with any of the parts

I would buy a case from ebay

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've bought second hand memory, a processor and a hard drive before now and they have all been fine. Although I got those from CEX who test everything before they sell it.

However I have also bought a second hand laptop on Ebay and after 2 or 3 months the hard drive died. Makes the most amazing crunching noises when you try to boot from it lol. Easy enough to fix though so I'm not too bothered.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I've bought 3 Asus striker 2 formula boards from ebay. The first, admittedly, i killed when i overtightened the heatsink mounts and cracked the board. But the second was DOA as the numpty i bought it off sent it by 2nd class post and used only a cereal packet for protection. At which point i wished said numpty's farther had used protection.
    And the third has a dud memory slot. But it works okay with only one channel. Or it would if my 2nd hand E8400 hadn't packed up. In fairness to the E8400, it was it's time... RIP

In all seriousness the amount of down time my rig has had is ridiculous. I should of learnt to stay away from the 2nd hand market but i've had some amazing bargains too. Like my XFX 285 GTX XXX which was £250 a year or so ago and hasn't given so much as a squeek of protest to my harsh treatment. Special mention for the E8400; bought also a year ago for £80 and lived it's life at 3.8Ghz for most of that. Like i said, it was it's time.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I've had one Graphicscard die on me...thats all in about 15 years and 5 computers time ;-)

6. Fizzban

In the blog there is a link to the bit-tech marketplace, but when I try to go there it says I don't have permission. How many posts do I need to be able to visit there?

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

You need 75+ posts, and I think two weeks of membership.

Fizzban likes this.
  8. Fizzban

Thanks muchly. +1 rep

9. Fizzban

Hmm, well I've been a member over 2 weeks now and I've got 100+ posts and I still can't enter the marketplace. The link (in the blog) just tells me I'm not permitted :wallbash:

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I thought it was 75 post and a month .

October and Fizzban like this.
  11. Fizzban

I was going by this :duh:

If it's a month then I shall wait patiently..again :yawn:

12. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Damn, I really earned my rep there... :duh:

Sorry about that. It is in the FAQs somewhere...

13. October

October Mariachi Style

I have nothing wrong with buying second hand for some stuff, just bought an X-Fi for cheeps (cheers Bumsrush!) and as soon as I can get to the bank I'll be paying for two hdds and a TV tuner card. That's all through Bit-Tech though, would be a lot more wary of ebay for stuff like that... And some things I definitely like to have new and shiny :D Wish I had enough old parts to be able to sell stuff...

Interesting you mention the V2000 Joe, my housemate bought one of those on ebay almost four years ago, I think he paid £80/£90 for it. It's sitting outside my door right now, beast of a case :lol:

Tags: Add Tags