1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Security Sield

Discussion in 'Software' started by Paulg1971, 28 Nov 2011.

1. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

Hi, has anyone ever come across security shield, it has appeared on my wifeys window.She does'nt know how it got there, but it does'nt show up on mine or my kids . It is a pain in the arse as I can't find anyway to delete it,as its nots showing on uninstall programs and whatever i do it is blocking,as in a system restore point ,its say its infected and i need to register which of course means paying for it. anyone have any ideas?

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Once resolved,
    Can you make sure that UAC is activated on your wife computer. And tell her that when she opens a picture or wtv file and it needs Administration privileges, it is malware/virus. Pictures, Video's and so on, should not need Administrative privelages. Also make sure that she can see file extension and educate her on that mater. image.jpg.exe is obviously a program.

Make sure that Microsoft Security Essential is installed and updated. And that there is only 1 anti-virus (Windows only support 1, having more, can create conflicts and render both useless).

I would also install her Ad-Block Plus plug-in in Firefox, to block ads (put bit-tech.net on the exception list please), to avoid these fake "YOU GOT 100000000000 VIRUS!" shaking dialog box that doesn't match the installed OS and makes her think that she needs to click on the "remove all viruses" button, and install the software which infects her computer with 1000000000 VIRUSES until she inserts her credit card info, ready to be most likely stolen, and the Virus stayed there.

Also it can be a key logger... if she went to any important site or did any online purchase or uses a common password which is the same for her bank account, I would immediately change all password and monitor carefully your credit cards.

Also, anti-viruses/malware just removed them, it doesn't cure your computer from any damages. A full OS re-install is needed.