1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sega drops jobs, cancels games as losses mount

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I can't see Sega making much from their old IP, they need something new and fresh. What ever happened to creativity?

3. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

They are in some sort of trouble. They should be looking for new ways to make money.

4. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

they should make an Alpha Protocol 2... or a propper remake...
    srsly that game was awesome and had a lot of great potential were it not for the bugs that were simply there due to release pressure by SEGA...

5. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

It's a shame but I'd rather see them cutback and scrape by for now rather than risk it all and die off.

6. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I lament the days of the early 90s when Sega was a gaming behemoth.

I don't feel they command the same respect any more. A bit like ID, in a way.

7. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

I just hope Creative Assembly will be ok.

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

in these revolutionary times, evolving is futile. i loved them when i was younger but i wouldn't miss them if they were to go, tbh i quite like these big firms going as its just making it easier for the good little firms that have had it hard for far to long.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

There is no reason to respect them anymore sadly.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

they lost my respect with the saturn (which i still own and love to this day) they ignored their fans / customers demands for a sonic game on the platform and only brought out some tosh game in the final days of the console. then their best game on the saturn (NiGHTS) didn't get an outing on dreamcast despite huge demand. they made some absolutely great games but some quite frankly retarded business decisions. Sonic was cool back in the day but there hasnt been a game to bring it back big on any console past the megadrive, unlike nintendo/mario with mario64/mario kart which really impacted on the mainstream.

11. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

I had a blast with Jet Grind Radio on DC, that was Sega, creative and innovative, then as said above some simply bad business decisions. Remember Shenmue? that game cost Sega $80mil as far as I can remember

12. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

They haven't done anything good for years (maybe Bayonetta, wich i never played), I'm surprised they're still here... And I like SEGA, I own a Dreamcast, a Genesis, and a Master System II, but they just don't bring anything new, they've been dying slowly since the Dreamcast died... They can't even make a proper Sonic game anymore...
    I hope they reorganize, and make use of their heads with new IP, the old IP is worn to the bone

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

With the recent studio expansions creating an entire second floor for a console team I hope they don't feel the burden of the cuts, I don't want to see them fail.

14. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Playing through Sonic Generations now. It certainly is the best full 3D Sonic game to come out since SA2.

They need to finish Shenmue and release it bundled with ports of the first 2 games. That and a sequel to SoA.

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Games have moved on from the old Arcades of the 80's n early 90's, but Sega has not. Sadly other than the occasional decent game they haven't really done anything well since the Megadrive days.

16. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

It scares the shareholders. It's risky. By it's very nature, it's new, and therefore unproven,.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Basically this. There is too much Corporation in games these days. They stifle the new as it is an unknown element. Sadly these days games need Corporations.

I pray for the happy medium.

Still waiting..

Tags: Add Tags