1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Sell me Bad Company 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ph4ZeD, 29 Mar 2010.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Heres the situation. I bought MW2 at release. I think its a good game with plenty of depth, however the PC implementation is shoddy at best. I glossed over the connection issues at first, and enjoyed the game. However since Christmas, hackers have become rampant and not a day's gaming goes by without games being ruined by aimbotters. The connectivity issues have been driving me spare too, as my brother bought the game too and getting just a party of two into the same game is hard.

Bad Company 2 appeals to me for several reasons. Firstly, it seems a more PC centric port, with better graphics and destructible environments. Modern Warfare 2 has very little strategy or teamwork, its just a group of players killing another group of players. Bad Company 2 has teams and classes.

In short, please sell me Bad Company 2 - ie. tell me more about the game. Soon I have 2 weeks holiday from work and this would be a perfect time to get the game. So turn me from a wavering buyer into a sure one!

2. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I honestly can't say it's worth purchasing at the moment. It's just littered with bugs right now.

Maybe further down the line it will be worth the cost. They just need to fix the worthless hit detection and connection issues. You may very well get lucky and not experience any of the issues that a large portion of the user base has.

If I could sell you my copy for a lower price, I would, but it's the Steam version.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You don't sound happy with your purchase?

4. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I have to say that I love BC2 - have already lost countless hours to it.

However, he other poster is correct - there are a few bugs. The day after I got it, I started to get serious punkbuster issues - it kicked me after 20seconds, no matter which PB-server I joined. However, after a bit of faffing, and some magic, it all works perfect now.

Love the game - ace.

But if you cba with the odd bug, then wait till the current owners (i.e. me and the like) have finished "beta testing" it.....

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have experienced about 10 disconnects since I got it and only 1 PB kick on our server.

Generally, i love the game. Weapons handle well, the physics engine is integral to the gameplay, with good teamwork on both sides, most games are a struggle with alot of to and fro.

It's CPU intensive, but runs smooth as silk for me.

It's not BF2, hopefully BF3 will be done soon enough, but it's a step in the right direction, even if it is a glorified console port :)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I agree there have been issues but the server issues are getting fewer by the day - I can now search and find a server in about 20 seconds when at first it wouldn't even work or took at least 5-10 mins.

There are a lot of cheaters but from what I've seen in the last few days, they are getting punkbustered off the servers in fairly short order. There must have been loads on last night - I saw about 5 kicked in about an hour in the server I was on for aimbots and various other hacks. Just make sure you have it enabled in the server filter list.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with PB which is more than can be said of BF2 at the moment.

8. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

If you're waiting for a developer to fix something as fundamental as hit detection you'll be a bloody long time waiting!

BTW hit detection is fine. What I shoot bullets hit. Bad guys die. Good guys smoke cigars in celebration.

DX9 visual bugs, not so fine.

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Got to say I love BC2 and have racked up a fair few hours play time since release. Never had a problem with hit detection myself I have heard a lot of people complain about it but I think a fair few may be put down to people finding the transition from MW2 hard with respect to bullet gravity and the very different weapon handling.
    However there is some bugs most of which seem to getting fixed at a respectable pace with DX9 glitches being the exception but for the majority of players the game is still very playable.

Long story short... If you want a great squad based tactical fps then at the moment you cant do much better than BC2 and as an additional bonus there is a great following of BT members flattening battlefields on a nightly basis :)

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

It didnt take long! I've already caved and accepted wuyanxu's offer. £22.50 is hard to turn down for a full game :)

wyx087 likes this.
  11. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I played BF2 last month and PB was kicking for steam overlay... again.

12. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Minus the seemingly tiny bugs now (I've played from release) its still bloody awesome :D

13. wafflesomd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXssPP_Zgbo

There is a major issue with client side detection syncing up with server side detection. It's pretty atrocious IMO. Considering all the other FPS' out there that don't experience such silly bugs. It's 2010, why is something as simple as this not perfect?

14. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Funnily enough i have a slow internet connection, and youtube stalled just as he fired that shotgun. He was barely on aim for that, if he'd aimed properly and put it in his chest the guy would have gone down.

Also blood. That blood plume is clientside. Fires up way too fast to be a proper server report. You have to admit it wasn't a perfect shot by any means, and the chances of him having a red screen after that are high.

The knife to me looked out of range, but I'll happily agree that all the melee mechanics are completely ballsed up: if two players go in for a knife it's a coin toss as to who'll get the kill. The shock paddle kills are even worse, possibly due to range, possibly detection. I think the repair tool works pretty well though, because it's a continuous attack.

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

the detection is horrible, particularity for the sniper's, everything other than that is fantastic, still worth getting

16. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Hold down LMB after firing to watch the shot drop.

Hit detection with snipers is 100%. Headshots for glory.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Plus he was using a semi auto shotty which aren't that powerful anyway. I found shotguns to be quite tricky to use properly (at least in BC1), you have to be pretty precise with the aiming, if you're only slightly on a person they only get a few pellets into them, you really need to get the reticule to fill up with their torso to be guaranteed a kill.

I've had no problems at all with hit detection, I do think the majority (but not all) of complaints with this game is because people are too used to the point and click of CoD, CoD practically has laser guns, in BC you do actually get a decent amount of bullet spread, drop and travel.

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

no really, you don't play the game enough..... shooting a guy only a few meters away with N95 in the freaking face, with blood pissing out of the other side and movement like he got hit BUT NO BLOODY DAMAGE!

now that's poor hit detection. it seems to be down to the servers, as some can be 100% bob-on, others you will get 3 hits out of 5 shots if you lucky.

19. wafflesomd

The type of weapon he's using is irrelevant.

When the user receives visual feedback that he has made a hit client side, but the server doesn't register the hit. That's poor hit registration.

20. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It's a pretty standard visual tradeoff, otherwise you end up getting delayed hit reports.

The little white X is the server report, I think. If you see that you've hit.

The weapon itself is also relevant because the projectiles are different. A shotgun, for example, shoots a spray of pellets. In the case of the shotgun if half the recticule is on the opponent the likelihood is that only half the pellets are going to hit. The video really wasn't a great demonstration of your point.

You don't even say if the shot was scoped or unscoped, if you were using magnum or he was using kevlar, and it all does make a difference. Again, clientside prediction and blood splatter is not the same thing as server registration. I've played about 40 hours, I consider that to be enough.

I respectfully suggest that if you didn't switch to pistol or go for a melee then it's you that hasn't played enough.

BTW the M95 is not a 1 shot kill unless you score a headshot - even if the damage is 100 there's still secondary perks to take into account. Due to the extended recharge time the guy would have to be utterly hopeless not to kill you at short range in the second or so it takes to pump the bolt.

My shots hit fine on the CPC server and other low latency servers I've played on.

Here's the info on damage stats.

And since I'm posting stats - here's the bullet drop table.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Mar 2010