1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Semi-fanless 5960X build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 22 Mar 2016.

1. tiger-moth

tiger-moth What's a Dremel?

Pretty impressed that's working fanless - any problems with the lack of an air intake under the PSU?
    Are you planning on adding leds to that?

I have the same dislike with the red on my mobo (it's got red leds as well) and ram but I'll probably tone it down by going for a white/black with flashes of red colour scheme (though arrival of my hue+ might change my mind on that).
    My sm951's pretty much hidden by my gfx card but I might steal your heatsink idea :)
    (Why didn't they just do it with a black pcb?)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's pretty chill here today and the system is sub 35C - even an 8 core ticks over under 15W most of the time.

PSU has to be facing upwards to work fully passive. Seasonic make super quality units so I've had no issue and expect no issue even with a high-power GPU.
    I'd did buy some yellow lights to match the cabling but I haven't got around to working out why they don't work yet. Probably need resoldering, but I need to investigate how to turn the lights off on the board first as well - it's a few hours effort and I gotta find the time. :)

SM951, like the XP941 is OEM so they are designed to never be seen buried in a laptop or pre-build.

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Seriously impressive! What does your entire system pull out the wall at idle then?

I'd love to see what temps you get at full load! I have a 5930k which is a pig to keep cool even under water, although admittedly overclocked.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

69/70C, but I will replace the rear case exhaust fan with something better and build a fan-duct as well that should certainly help. I'm not overclocked so that's fine :) Honestly I'd probably be better off with a 4790/6700K for higher peak frequency, but ehhhh ego. :p ha

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

And there it is - bare faced honesty! :D

The 5960X is "only" 140W TDP which isn't really very high, as the previous hexcore CPUs were 130 TDP and very easy to keep cool at stock. I'm pretty sure the 980X I had stayed around 55C under load in LinX at stock frequency. It's the overclocking that heats these CPUs up, which is to be expected.

But yeah, I'm still v. impressed with the Macho and would definitely consider it if I wanted to silence a PC. What a beast.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Modification day while the kids are at school and I can use their soft mat:

Before - ugly see-thru holes:
    [​IMG]

Work in progress - the front cover is done (Corex/plastic), with a card mockup of the motherboard tray and fan shroud:
    [​IMG]

Getting the ATX cable in required inventing new swear words:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The glass side-panel is now on and I'm testing it fully closed.

To-do pending I don't melt the bloody thing:
    Fix the cabling at the back to pin it around the cover.
    Plastic version of the MB tray
    Bottom cover card mock-up and plastic cut
    and then the lighting!

I was considering an air ionizer as a fanless solution to pushing air through the case, but I'm not too wild about the ozone created and the fact it will negatively charge my entire PC.

Last edited by a moderator: 31 Mar 2016
  7. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Looking Good!

8. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

My rig (sig) runs passively when on media duties too, got a wacking great 200w rated cooler on a lowly Anniversary edition Pentium. I have 200mm front fan that kicks in when things get toasty during gaming.

I to wish to abolish all cabling, my PSU is only semi modular as it was all I could afford at the time...Makes my brain hurt knowing where the excess cables are hidden!