1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Senior Project: Revision 1

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by xc3ll, 31 May 2005.

1. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

As a senior project for my HS, I decided to make a computer case. So far I have pretty much finished the design(except for a few details--backplate(dreading that...), and a few constraints left to make...) and I'm gonna start making it VERY soon(100% CNC hehehe), as school is almost over...

Below are some rendered shots... all I can say is that I really admire macs(from a design point of view)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 31 May 2005
  2. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Those sketches look impressive, I like the sharp curves. Are you planning to use aluminum or what?

3. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

i plan to be using a mixture of sheet metal and aluminum... alot of it depends on pricing... I dont wanna spend alot of money, as I'm going 2 college soon...

4. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

looks pretty interesting, anything special hardware wise?

5. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

If you are doing this with the help of a CNC mill/router - why do you dread the backplate. Heck, with a machine doing the cutting - that's a peice of cake!

6. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

well i made the backplate for all the i/o connectors once already in Inventor(autocad software), and that was just such a pain that I dont wanna do it again(i need 2 cuz i changed the design aroun--***!!)...

as for special hardware, prolly nothing special... i only made room for 2 HDs and 1 optical drive(i wanted it 2 be small for LAN parties)

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Looking good, would love to see this finished.

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I use Inventor as well. Excellent software, especially once you figure out some of the tricks to making it do what you want!

9. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

yeah, inventor is pretty good, although I've never worked w/sheet metal b4, and its been kinda tricky...

10. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

On inventor can't you just use make the models a standard part instead of using sheet metal? or do you need to use sheet metal for milling?

11. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

yeah, theres two different ways to do it... one, you can just do it the regular way as a 3d model(which I prefer), but theres also a special sheetmetal process(which isn't too different, except for a few things).

12. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I most have a crappy version of inventor cause my version sucks. It wont install correctly on windows XP it has license problems and i install it on 98 and it has stability problems and will crash in the middle of my design. I was stupid and spent 30 minutes working on a project and didnt save (argh) and it crashed i was MAD. If i could afford it i would get autocad in a heart beat.

13. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

Well I'm going to be cutting most of the parts tomorrow(maybe over the weekend) with a plasma CNC cutter... I'll be sure to post some pix!

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Do it damnit! Post pics.

:~subscribed.

15. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

well my project is on hold right now... The CNC plasma cutter I was hoping on using is broken, so I gotta wait quite awhile to get the case made. I'll post an update tho, as soon as I make some progress...

16. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

wish my school has cnc cos im doing the same thing :/ (see project nolio) good luck with it! :)