1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Sennheiser HD650 Headphones - Sound Card Suffice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gtiboy, 4 Jan 2009.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

I have just bought a pair of high end Sennheisers HD650 headphones...will a decent soundcard power these without needing a headphone amp / dac.

Are there soundcards availble with amps built in?

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Probably not, but this thing might do the trick.

- Diosjenin -

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For sensible volume levels, a normal soundcard does just fine.

If you really want a headphone amp, build yourself a CMOY Pocket amp to go with it. It'll be better than a 3rd party bit of tat, especially if it's outside your PC case.

4. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Nope. I have a pair of HD-555's and they sounded "Okay" on my sound card, almost sounded if they weren't playing close to their full potential. After Googling around for a bit, a lot of audiophile sites recommended trying them out with an amplifier, in particular I had an old JVC amp with a 1/4" line-out on the front of it (Sennheisers all run 1/4" as standard in their audiophile line-up). I wasn't expecting a huge difference... but man was I blown away. Totally different sound, superior mid-range and bass, I've suddenly grown to really really really like these headphones, they've warmed up a lot and the sound is just orgasmic (eargasmic?) when outputting 320kbps Mp3 VBR... or even better when I listen to some newer FLAC files I've ripped.

Definitely get an amplifier. However, I don't use a headphone amp, or onboard/built-in amp. They usually have pretty cheap components. Scythe makes computer doodads and whatnots, but they don't do audio - stay away them from.

Even a barebones entry level reciever/amp will do you just fine.

Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DE19...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231100641&sr=8-4

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR30...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231100641&sr=8-3#

They're both under $175... and since you bought a pair of $465 headphones, you'd shouldn't cringe at a $175 investment that will make you love your headphones rather than feel disappointed with them.

5. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

you'll be fine.

6. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

build a CMOY in a tin of mints I would give you one of mine but they all dissapeard :grr: Room mates suck... Trust me the sound quality improvements are well worth the $20 bucks in parts and the hour of tinkering!

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

+1

soon to build mine

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

hmmmmmmmm
    For some reason I feel if they think have to say "Audiophile" in the product name then they're probably trying pull the wool over :lol:

That's serious money for that card (Google pulls up £172.49!), an outboard DAC (eg Beresford) and a home-brew headphone amp would cost less than that and I wouldn't bet against the DAC/amp combo sounding a lot better. After all, regardless of what bits are on the card it's still living in the electrically noisy hell that is the inside of a computer case.

10. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

LOL the burr-brown isn't really an audiophile grade dac, though it is good. And Nichion caps?? Seriously unless they're blackgates don't even bother mentioning them. Though the swapable opamps is a neat feature. At that price range looking at the 0404 usb soundcard is a good bet.

11. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

The optical digital out on my m/b feeds a Yamaha DSP-A5 av amp.Perfectly good enough for my Grado SR60's.Perhaps doing something similar if your board has a digital output,feeding something appropriate.