1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Sennheiser HD650... Nothing will ever be the same.

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 17 Sep 2012.

1. TheCherub

TheCherub Member

If you spend a lot of time on buses / trains then I'd probably suggest avoiding open backs. Other than that, they are normally the preferred option. I use some open back headphones whilst walking to work and whilst friends have mentioned that they can hear them I don't even get funny looks from passers by!

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Don't give them any of your money until you've listened to a pair of AKGs.
    :thumb:

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I have a pair of AKG K121s not the best pair, but they are quite nice to use, defintively comfier than my beat up MDR-V7506s. I'm too poor for nice headphones.. :(

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 448s and I'm very happy with them.

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The 650s are awesome, I use them daily. I had the 595s before, and there is a massive difference.

Remember though that you will need a proper amp, your sound card will not do.

I also second the notion to try some AKGs if you can before you buy anything. The Sennheiser cans have a quite warm sound, while the AKGs sound quite cold. It's a matter of preference really. Generally it is a very good idea to try headphones before buying. You could buy the best headphones in the world but if they won't sit properly on your ears they will not only hurt after a while, they will actually sound worse.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2012
  6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure to get the best out of them you would, but like I say this was played through my phone and was the best I'd ever heard music sound.

7. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Yes, compared to bad headphones they will sound awesome from any source. But after a while you will notice the shortcomings of your onboard sound or phone. Or your mp3 file for that matter. Headphones can actually sound too good. The 650s sit in a sweet spot though imo: They sound awesome if you got the right amp and source file, but they will not sound outright terrible if you decide to listen to an mp3.

I have tried the HD 800s at a shop. They are clearly worth the extra money if you got it. But I cannot imagine playing an mp3 or even a game with them: They are too accurate, you can clearly hear the shortcomings of the source.

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Sorry to threadjack but i have a quick question, I recently got a Essence STX (with onboard headphone amp) and would like to use it to the best of its abilities. I dont want to spend more than £100 and im happy to go 2nd hand, I prefer open backs and the cups to go fully over the ears. I'm currently using some steelseries cans which are good for the price and comfy but dont really have enough punch

9. brave758

brave758 New Member

I got some westone 2's wow just wow your right once you go high end you'll never go back

10. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

If, and it's a *huge* if, You can find a set for sale, then the Sennheiser Orpheus cans go for north of $30K. It does come with it's own Electrostatic valve amp though, if that softens the blow a little.

Do not, ever, listen to a pair if You can't afford them. Anything less is just not as good (Yes, I've heard them, and have never had so much want), not by a very long way.

I'm still loving my simple HD595's.

Some more reading for You.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-09-27/lifestyle/30207060_1_headphone-orpheus-sennheiser

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

558's are very good, really happy with mine :D

12. Zinfandel

I'm very tempted by the 558s, it's certainly a more comfortable amount... Save the 650s for when I'm a bit richer!

13. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom New Member

As someone else mentioned it depends on what you are likely to be listening to. If you are going be listening to mp3s at 128 *shudder* then stick to the much more reasonably priced cans.

I am not an audiophille at all, I have a pair corsair vengence 1500. I think they sound pretty good for a set which cost less than 80 quid. I was listening to some music quite happily then a rogue mp3 of less than 320 kbps played and you can really tell how bad the quality is on a semi decent set of cans.

So not only do you need to decide how much you want to spend on the headset but also how much time/money you are prepared to invest on the source.

14. Zinfandel

Well most of my time is spent on Spotify Premium so that's 320kbps.

Outside of spending a million pounds on buying all the music too on there then that's as good as it's going to get!

Sounds good on my DTX101s.

15. erratum1

erratum1 New Member

Think they would be wasted on spotify, I have an 80 quid pair of sennheisers they sound reasonable but didn't blow me away.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I might have to meet you at Scan one day, I'm in the market for some better cans as I'm planning to ditch my speakers. :thumb:

17. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

I love my beyers because i can wear them for hours on end and they are so comfy, i don't think you can get those denon's any more. :waah:

It is like anything though you can over spend this is why you set limits as us mere mortals do. ;)

I would also say to OP go for it and buy if you have auditioned and enjoyed.

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I set my limit at £20. Ended up with Koss PortaPros. Remembered owing a set as a child plugged into a giant Walkman. Was happy. Especially for £20 :)