1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial ATA Power + Molex?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arrowswake, 10 Aug 2004.

1. arrowswake

arrowswake What's a Dremel?

Let me start this off by admitting that I'm pretty much a newb to this whole computer building scene. I built a simple computer for a friend, but that's it.

Now that I've got to building my own computer, I'm going all out (Athlon64 3400, 1.5GB ram, etc.)

My question is about Serial ATA drives. My power supply came with two Serial ATA Power connectors built in. I have two serial ATA drives that I'm using... Do I need both the SATA power connector, the SATA cable to the mobo AND a 4-pin molex connector from the power supply? Or just the SATA power and the regular SATA?

Thanks.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You can use EITHER:
    The 4-pin molex and the SATA data (thinner 7pin) cable OR
    The SATA power connector (thinner and wider, 15 pins) and the SATA data cable

You'll probably kill the drive if you use both power connectors.

Just out of curiosity, are these Western Digital raptor drives? I was never quite sure if other drives had the option for either power cable.

3. Perpetual Notion

Perpetual Notion What's a Dremel?

You won't neccessarily burn out the drive. I didn't. I was dumb enough to think i had to plug both in when I was assembling my main rig. Things worked just fine. I'm sure some engineer at Western Digitial (in my case) figured some dumpkis would do that.

laterz,
    Perp

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

maxtor have both connections aswell...seagate only carry sata power connectors...

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, seagates are actually native SATA. Although the new maxtors should be as well (the NCQ ones).

I didn't say you will damage the drive if you use both, but it's certainly possible.