1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Seriouly Extreme Finger Modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Der Me!$ter, 11 Apr 2004.

1. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

This just happened to me 2 hours ago:

I was mounting a new PCB inside of a plastic case and instead of screwing it down like I should have, I used a glue gun. Well anyways, when I tried to put the case inside of my computer it wouln't fit - it was too long. So I decided to take the PCB out of the case and mount the bare PCB inside of the computer. Because I used glue to fasten it, I had to cut it loose again with my handy dany swiss army knife - BAD IDEA! I was almost finished cutting when I accidentally moved the knife in the wrong direction and slap, the knife flicked back (as when you are retracting it) right onto the second finger of my right hand. The funny thing is I didn't feel any pain whatsoever and immediately removed the knife from my finger as a reflex action. The ****ing knife had nearly gone through all of my finger (top part, where there is no bone to stop it)! I was completely under shock and just sucked on the wound, ran into the bathroom, washed it in the sink and shouted for my dad. He came, took a look at it and his immediate reaction was: "holy s***". Fortunatelly he is a surgeon so we immediatelly drove into his office where I had to get some stiches. I almost fainted during the car ride. While he was sewing the part back on he was constantly saying "s***", etc. (as in "damn this is deep!") which really made me feel better (yeah right)! Anyway it turned out that if that knife had cut around 2mm deeper, the top part of my finger (about 3/4 way down the nail) would have fallen off. It was just hanging on bit of skin and the finger nail. Damn, I am still kinda blurry from all of that crap. Here are some pics:

The bloody knife:

[​IMG]

Blood on my desk:

[​IMG]

More blood:

[​IMG]

It even sprayed onto my bed:

[​IMG]

And finally my poor old finger:

[​IMG]

Guess I won't be playing piano for the next couple of weeks (or months)! And I definately won't be touching that knife again (funny enough it was a birthday present from my ex-girlfriend)!

Last edited: 11 Apr 2004
  2. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

:duh:
    Ouch.....

A few days ago I was putting together a PC's in my dad's office, and suddenly I cut myself on the edge of one of the cases, the best thing was..I did'nt notice it! All of a sudden, I noticed that the floor, and PC internals were literally sprayed with blood :eeek:
    Before seeking medical attention (MEDIC!! WE GOT A INJURY OVER HERE!!) I wraped the wound with my shirt (hey, atleast I was'nt spraying blood anymore), when I reached the nurse a few minutes later, my shirt was soaked with blood, got a few stitches and pressure dressings and it all stopped bleeding.

I cut myslef right above the wrist, the cut was about 7-10cm :jawdrop:

I still ask myself, how the hell did'nt I feel it? :eyebrow:

Cheers,
    Mike

P.S.
    Don't worry, the PC still works :D

3. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

dude, WTF were you thinking?! your so stupid, WHY DIDNT YOU PUT BL00 LED,S IN IT!

4. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

LOL :)

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

Damn man, that's nasty, i've always wondered what it would be like if that happened lol. Well done for getting pics though. :thumb:

6. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I can not believe you were stupid enough to do that, But got to amount its a nice keyboard in the pic even if it would look better with a red high intensity Led

lol

seriously though can you say OUCH that had to hurt

7. l'edo

l'edo What's a Dremel?

uhh.. it's not sounding nice..

when i did my first mod (changing the power LED from green to blue) i bought a soldering iron and did it.. finally, when i finished it I wanted to take some pictures... so I sat down on the ground, took the pictures and when i wanted to stand up again i wanted to pull myself up by grapping with my hand on the table..

but there was still the soldering iron on the corner of the table and i grapped right on it.. :duh:

i hand a blister across the hole inner area of my hand..

now I'm always carefully with the soldering iron :thumb:

8. dom_

dom_ --->

i remeber case hardening a huge spike i turned on a lathe (dont ask), quinched it in the water briefly. Without thinking picked it out the water, little did i notice the water still steaming...
    Before i knew what was happening it had stuck to my hand pulling a fair chunk of my hand with it :(
    All healed now though, not much scarring.
    Not that it matters the number of scars i have it was 15 last count

sympathies, i know swiss army knives hurt, deceptively sharp little buggers

Last edited: 11 Apr 2004
  9. benthekiller

benthekiller What's a Dremel?

ouch!

i know what you mean about the no pain thing, i was modding my bb gun magazines and i managed to slice around 4mm into my left thumb, i didnt notice till i went to rub some dirt off my hand to find my hands were covered in blood, as well as the stanley knife, that happened a few weeks ago, the cut has only today just sealed.

but u poor guy, i just got my swiss army knife (havent used it ever and since i turned 13 i brought it home for home use) and now im bloomin scared of it after reading this...

10. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

the not feeling thing is a common practice it seems, i had that a couple of times too, worst one was just before a foam party, cut my thumb to the bone with a *suprise* swiss army knife (victorinox power!) and found out after going in the foam :) also it is not a good idea to juggle with a 40 cm long russian cold war bajonet( or any knife) you might cut yourself when you catch it on the blade instead of the handle best thing about that thing is it doesn't have sharpend edges :) so if you try to cut something it won't do a thing
    good luck on your next finger modding trip

11. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

Because of you guys I'm becoming afraid of my Victorinox knife :worried:

Cheers,
    Mike

12. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

i'll give you a tip , dont let the sharp edge touch your fingers :hehe:

13. kenshin

kenshin Banned

or anywhere else on your or someone elses body for that matter :idea:

14. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

depends on your sexual prefe...

i said nothing... :worried:

15. leon

leon What's a Dremel?

I've done the same thing you did dude!!

Only I did it on my little finger (dont ask how) so there was an amount of bone to block the blade.

I did it about 10+ years ago now and i've still got the scar.

16. MadD_b0mBeR

MadD_b0mBeR What's a Dremel?

i did that... ONCE. every knife i have ever owned since has been a lock knife (even my victoriniox). Doesnt stop me stabbing it into my hand all the time thou... and my leatherman too... and screwdrivers... and even bits of wood :eyebrow:

17. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

That's nothing. I've had to dress wounds with duct tape, because there was nothing else available (except sweaty, nasty, germ infected clothes. May not have been sanitary, but those clothes made the duct tape look like holy water.). Also, I sold knives for a company a while back, and I was doing a check up visit with one of my customers. We had a knife designed for spreading condiments on bread (mayo, mustard, catsup, what have you)and this family informed me that EVERYONE of them had cut the side of their mouth and/or tongue trying to lick stuff off of the knife. I don't know about you, but I would have figured it out after the first family member did it. This was a family of eight. :sigh:

18. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

ok i cut my fingers one in a while, perhaps because i have to many knives, or play with them too much, but you're the king :lol:

some people have a special blessing, i call them retarded and maybe the previous 7 had licked the sharpness off it and it was safe now? never hurts to try? :naughty:

19. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

Dont you just hate that feeling? "Whats this blackness coming around? Heeywaitasec... SNAP! Im awake Im awake!"

Thumb moddage:

I almost crushed the "tip bone" in my left thumb a while back. Went to have a shower and decided to close the bathroom door. Guess on what I leaned on with my left hand?... Yup door frame on hinged side. Thumb precisely placed on where one edge of the door hits when closed...

I was like "OooOOoooOo... What are those stars?... Hey hold on a sec..." Yup, I literally saw little stars flying around... Too much cartoons maybe?

Then I look at my left hand and see whats going on. Funny thing is, I didnt feel any pain until I kicked the door open. "OH****THAT*******HURTS!"

Off to the doctor then, no other damage done except the fingernail has a pocket of dried blood in it and a good dent. Just gotta wait until it grows enough so I can cut it off little by little.

20. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I had that feeling after the first time I ran the 2-mile in track and field.