1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Seriously having a hard time deciding on a graphics card :P!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolicus, 19 May 2011.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

I recently bought a MSI Twin Frozr II 6870 as my budget is not as big as yours. Got Shogun 2 free with my newegg combo purchase and the 6870 can run it at max, as well as rift. So if you are worried about games not being able to handle it, well I would say have no fear. Getting a 6970 should hold you over for the next year or 2. And as far as the Twin Froze II goes, I have yet to hear any noise from it other then when I was installing windows.

2. russell16688

russell16688 What's a Dremel?

If your waiting for a card to tide you over until the end of the year may i suggest the HD 5870 by xfx or gigabyte both available for around the £150-160 mark.
    This will allow you to happily play most modern games (except ARMA 2 but that doesnt count) on High settings at 1920x1080 and then at that price you can simply sell it on at the end of the year and get a new card.
    If you check benchmarks the more modern cards are very similar in benchmarks and save only a little power over this one.

3. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

I have just bought a HD6950 2GB myself and I am very pleased with it.

I have also flashed it to a 6970. I'm not particularly that clued up on hardware, but I found the process a breeze. To be honest, I never really noticed any difference in performance before and after. I tried it out with Dirt 2, Brink and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Running at 1920x1200 with high settings. If there was any difference, it was not noticeable. I only reflashed it so I could say I paid £200 for a £275 card really :hehe:

The link I was given was this. It is also quite informative, should you be curious. Either way, £200 well spent.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I have an Asus Direct CU2 GTX570

If you want a quiet card i'd seriously consider this one, mine never seems to go above 50c in games yet the fans never spin above 30%. It does require 3 slots on your motherboard (but if you're not using them who cares?). Performance is unreal tbh I get average over 100fps in BC2 with everything maxed, also I can clock it to 920mhz but at the moment I leave it at stock as its eating everything I throw at it.

review here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_570_Direct_Cu_II/]

They are £280 usually but I managed to pick mine up for 270 on today only. I know the 560 is great for all current titles but with a 1920x1200 res I thought it worth it to spend a bit more for provision (Battlefield 3!)