1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Server builds and storage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 3 Sep 2021.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Modder

This is going to be a long one but I'm looking for some suggestions.

I currently have 3 servers running and a Synology NAS as well as a couple of R-Pi 4’s all doing various bits.

The 3 servers consist of 2 Dell Optiplex 7030’s each with 4-core Haswell CPU, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD and run proxmox. They are decent little boxes that I picked up fairly recently.
    The 3rd is running an 4-core Xeon on an Asrock E3C224DI with 16GB ECC, 64GB and 500GB SSDs and 4x4 WD Reds running Ubuntu, housed in an InWin MS04 NAS case. This is my ‘proper’ server.
    The Dell’s run a few VM’s for haproxy, wordpress, and a couple testing machines. The ‘proper’ server runs Nextcloud, MariaDB for nextcloud and wordpress, and Plex. No VM’s or docker.

The Synology is a DS416Play with 4x6TB Ironwolf drives and also runs plex. It’s used for backups and since DSM7 it’s also now my main photos app.

One of the Pi’s is just for home assistant (likely overkill) and the other runs tvheadend, pi-hole (currently not in use), and an internet monitoring stack (https://github.com/geerlingguy/internet-monitoring).

Everything except my router and pi-hole pi resides in my loft office and use powerline for internal networking. The router and pi are in the living room on the ground floor. I will be running a cable on the outside of the house soon, however.

Now, on top of all of that I also have 2 Ryzen 2700’s, 2 B450 Aorus M boards, 64GB RAM (2 2x16GB kits), 2x500GB WD Blue SSDs, 2x1TB WD Blue SSDs, 3x4TB WD reds, 2x1TB WD Blue HDDs, 8TB external ready to be shucked, 5960X and X99 Asus ATX motherboard, 2x 4port gigabit nics and various other bits. There are a few cases and power supplies as well. It’s all just a bit bonkers really. I've managed to pick everything up fairly cheap or free in some

The important bits are what I want to host, and that’s as follows:
    Nextcloud
    Plex (video and music streaming)
    Minecraft server
    Home assistant
    Wordpress (fronted by haproxy) or other cms in the future.
    pi-hole
    tvheadend

There is likely more to be added to that list as time goes on, but that’s as it stands for now. I also want enough to be able to play around with new services, docker and K8s, development tools etc.

Where possible I want any machines I have to fit in my lack rack, which I think has around 8U-9U in height. Some consolidation definitely needed I think.

So, what do you think?