1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor setup for file server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x-rae, 10 Jan 2007.

1. x-rae

x-rae What's a Dremel?

long ago i had a massive gaming rig with a bunch of hdds and gfx cards and the lot, but eventually work over took fun so i had to sell of my rig to buy a mac. i still have all but one of my old harddrives out of that rig that are filed with a lot of files and music i'd like to retrieve. so i have some spare money and want to build a linux(ubuntu) file server so i can access those drives from my mac as well as use it for backing up projects.

i'm trying to decide on a setup that will be a bit smaller then a mid tower but still hold all my hdds and have enough room for 2x 120mm fans for cooling. i'm planning on a mini itx mobo because i don't need to to really do anything but manage files. before the fury of google.com and mini-itx.com replies come in, i value personally experience over corporate reviews and would prefer to hear what you think works and does. thanks

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

How many hard-drives will you be using? A mini-itx setup will be fine for Fileserving - I know several people on here are using them, for example Bindibadgi.

I'm currently setting up a mini-itx project as a development webserver, but it's essentially the same, sans multiple hard-drives.

The ideal setup would be to obtain your hardware first and then custom build a suitable enclosure for it.

3. x-rae

x-rae What's a Dremel?

about 3 harddrives max. i was pretty sure it would come down to me have to fabricate my own case but i thought someone would know of a case that might have fit the project.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The P series shuttles can fit 3 natively, however even the G series can do it as long as you dont use a DVD drive, and I shouldnt see why you would after everything is installed.

You can do it with linux, and there are threads of people doing it on here but the cheap and basic version is Freenas which is pretty efficient. Or you can go the Server 2003 route.

FYI: all our reviews on here are "personal", and they are the same opinions in all the staff posts :):) VIA Mini-itx boards will suffice for freenas, but I dont know about Windows Server. My mini-itx is a P3 which is seriously overpowered for what it does.

I'd recommend some noise insulation because harddisks are loud when everything else is quiet :(

5. gometro33

gometro33 What's a Dremel?

Setting up Samba or NFS on a regular distro is fairly simple and can add a lot of options to your server. If you're up for learning something new then I would suggest going this route. Otherwise, FreeNAS is a great choice.

No matter which option you choose, you can use pretty much any junk PC to get the job done. If you decide to go the VIA EPIA route, check out EPIA Linux. It used to be more of a comprehensive site but has changed to a collection of useful links (you can read what happened).

As for needing "2x 120mm fans for cooling," that will more than likely be overkill. The mini-ITX boards use VERY little power (and therefor emit VERY little heat) and thus leaves only the harddrives to be cooled. This can probably be done with a single 80mm fan. This is especially true if you use a smaller case as it can replace the entire volume of the case quickly.

6. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

sounds like your going the same route as me, let me know what case you end up with

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Tags: