1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor SFF Ryzen 7 advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Byron C, 14 Jan 2022.

1. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

Thinking of downsixing my other half's PC and I'm a bit out of the game with MiniITX.

Am I really losing out on that much by going for a B550 board vs. X470 or X570? The CPU's a 3700X with 16GB (2x8) 3600MHz RAM, and stuff like overclocking or extreme performance really isn't something her machine will need. That being said, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for AM4 Mini ITX boards...

How about low-profile coolers? My gut feeling says "anything by Noctua", but are there other slim coolers out there that'll keep a 3700X in check? It's only a 65W CPU, so I suspect this won't be much of a worry.

She does play games, and although she only has a GTX 1060 right now, I'd like to be able to eventually get her a GPU that can target 1440p @ 60+fps. Although that's mainly going to be a case and power supply consideration. I've been looking at the Silverstone RVZ03 - once upon a time I had the original RVZ01 and I was quite a fan of the dual-chamber and dual-orientation design.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

B550 ITX has most of what you you'd get on X570, except the chipset cooling fans...
    Ryzen 3x00 OC isn't really a thing as PBO seems to do the job.
    B550 ITX has the distinct advantage over B450 that the majority of them have 2 M.2 slots. That makes for a tidier build and less spaghetti!
    Noctua should be fine, depends on what case you end up using. The RVZ03 seems to be setup for OK ventilation and the GPU breathing OK.
    I haven't followed the ins & outs of slim coolers, but the SFFN guys are pretty much on it.

I will be selling my NCase M1 soon, which is smaller in volume, but has a larger footprint. It has the distinct advantage of a compact conventional design (no risers required) and room for a 92mm fan tower cooler and 120mm fans

Depends on what your desk space is like, I think you're pressured for space generally from memory.
    /2p from a self confessed SFF 'pervert'

Byron C likes this.
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

considering future gpu upgrades buy a uatx case that can fit good cooling why paint yourself into a corner for the sake of a couple of litres, will also open the choice of boards right up.

Byron C likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

3700x isn't 65w in the way you think it is. AMD use a weird equation and it will pull more like 100-125w depending on load.

There's not a whole load of difference between b550 and x570. As long as the board has all the connections you require then go for it.

Arboreal and Byron C like this.
  5. Byron C

Cheers, Tre :thumb:

The RVZ03 seemed to be pretty well received by GamersNexus, although I've only skimmed the first half-dozen paragraphs or so. I really quite liked the RVZ01, even if it was a bit tricky to work in - hopefully they've ironed out the snags by the third iteration!

Space on my other half's desk is tight - really tight - but even if it was bigger, she'd rather the PC take up as little space as possible. She manages with the great hulking 5000D, but a smaller case is definitely preferred. If/when the market calms its tits, I plan to upgrade my 3070Ti and put that in the other half's machine; that doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while, but the RVZ01 supports GPUs up to 330mm so that plan would still work.

Yeah Ryzen PBO/overclocking is still a total black box to me to be honest!

I can't remember the exact board I was looking at earlier, but it certainly ticked all the boxes for ~£140. Even has 2.5GbE, which my full-ATX ROG Strix board doesn't have!

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

7. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Have you considered something like the SSUPD Meshilicious? (e.g. here) Pretty spacy for kit and standing vertically means less desk space taken up.

I’d decide on case first as that will set your parameters for cooling, GPU upgradability etc.

Arboreal and The_Crapman like this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

Indeed. Case cooler compatibility will differ quite a bit. If you end up with something you could put a 240 aio in, then bonus!

9. nimbu

nimbu Modder

CM NR200 ? Ive got one here, havent managed to put it all together just yet.....

As for the board, I think I would say B550 > X470, or if you get a X470 board try to ensure it is running a bios revision that supports your cpu out of the box. I am having fun with bios updates on mine to try and support a 5700G. It doesnt sound like getting an X570 would be worth the extra cost for your use case.

10. Byron C

Thanks for the advice/recommendations so far, it's all being filed mentally! :thumb: