1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Sharing my BB conection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanchos, 2 Jun 2004.

1. Sanchos

Sanchos What's a Dremel?

I want to network my 2 computers up, mainly just to share my net connection between them.
    Ive been told to get a router as opposed to a hub/switch, has anyone got any recommendations for a good router considering I have a usb modem (alcatel speedtoutch usb modem)
    Im not sure whether it is possible to use this modem or if il lhave to but a router with a modem within.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.

2. shawnna2222

shawnna2222 What's a Dremel?

Link to infor you seek

hello, I think you may have to buy a new modem that you can use a network cable (cat5) for. & plug that into a router. You will be able to configure your router from both of your machines using internet explorer. But you will need a network port on your modem to get it to your router. Unless this site that I found has more information. I found it, and your question while looking for a way to my USB external hard drive on one machine from the other machines on my LAN. So I thought it would be nice of me to connect you with the information I found. I registered this forum just to answer your question. LOL :p Good Luck! Here is the link

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/usb_modems.htm

3. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

I'd go for a Router personally. Ebuyer have a good range of chip Router, single port (ones where you will need to uplink to a switch/hub) and ones with inbuilt 4 port switches. I used to run a twisted pair between 2 machines with Internet Connection Sharing, and that really wasnt the best way to do things. Now I run a router, uplinked to switches, between 5 machines and it works great.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2004
  4. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Well it all depends on how much u can stand listening to your PCs whilst you sleep. If you wanna save 50quid for a router, then its so simple to buy 2 network cards, a crossover cable and just share the acces with ICS. You plug the crossover between the 2 PCs, install the modem on one of them, run windows inbuilt internet connection sharing, share the broadband and off you go. Never had a problem. The only downfall to this method is you have to have the PC with the INet installed on it, connected and powered on for the second PC to access the net. This aint a problem for cos i can sleep thru a hurricane so a pc fan is music to my ears.

The more expensive option is the router, its easy to set up still, and means you dont have to leave the pcs on, either can use the net and you always have that extra adaptability that if you and your friends have a sleep over or sommit you can plug in the extra PCs and get them straight onto the net quickly and easily :)

Hope that helps some,
    Proph.

Tags: