1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Shelby GT500, Pontiac Firebird?

Discussion in 'General' started by boiled_elephant, 2 Nov 2008.

1. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

GT500 everytime.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

See the Original Eleonor from 'Gone In 60 Second (1974), for me its one of the most ugly car never made but she's legendary for one thing, they managed to use only one car for the movie (Stunt uncluded)

[​IMG]

PS: Of Course GT 500-KR everytime !!

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I know you weren't directing that specifically at me, which is good because I know what you mean about kids thinking "that's" what Eleanor is and that's what a '67 GT500 mustang really looks like, but the replica of the Eleanor '67 from the remake film is actually really nice in my opinion. Not too chaved up, just turned into a modern muscle car. The remakes that I was referring to don't actually use old '67 chassis and bodies, they're completely built from scratch. The company that reproduces them (Classic Recreations) manufactures the chassis, subframes and bodies themselves.

You're entitled to your own opinion when it comes to Chip Foose, but I think he's a great designer.

The original, stock '67 GT500 is a very ncie car, and I wouldn't turn one down any day, but I would take the chance to own a Classic Recreations replica if given the opportunity as well.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm sure they do.. probably the Dynacorn bodies like Year One do, but unfortunately, due to the utterly stupid price tags of these Eleanor rebuilds, most people just canibalise a 67 or 68 fastback. Even worse, is the Eleanors made from actual, numbers matching GT500s (I know of many). Why anyone would want to do this beggars belief.

I'm sure the cars you refer to are nice pieces of work, but most are hideous. Plus, I'm sick of kids shouting "Eleanor" when I drive past. I don't even drive a 67-68, I drive a 2006 - but as it's almost the same colour.. that's close enough for your average retard. Mustang is now synonymous with that stupid name, and it pi$$es me off, as it does any Mustang enthusiast.

Let's say you owned a fairly rare car.. for argument's sake, a 1955 Porsche Spyder... and then I decide to make a box office smashing film. In that film, I modify a '55 Spyder, and call it "Margaret". Then each time you drive anywhere, ignorant scrotes shout, "Look.. A Margaret".

How long before you develop a pathological hatred for "Margaret" clones, and the lazy, badly written, and badly acted movie that spawned them?

I rest my case.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  5. Unicorn

Now that would piss me off. Idiot kids :rolleyes:

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Good point Pookey, although I never will say Eleanor to any Mustang, even if it supposedly was the GI60S one, it's still a GT500 to me.

As cool as the modded one is, the Stock one is beautiful beyond belief. Now If only I could get the same GT390 that Richard had in Top Gear... That blue is awesome.

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

In fact, “ Eleanor” Is a 1971 Fastback played the role of a 1973 Mach 1. In the Same way, the GT500 of the Remake is a CLONE.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

aye his stang was nice, the blue is a little too light for my tastes tho.

Pookey, I might need to have a chat to you about your Stang, I'm planning on getting one myself soon :thumb:

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I can see you gentlemen take your cars very, very seriously. After long consideration (brought on by this damn inexcusable thread resurrection) I think I'd take the firebirds. Any of them. They're all beautiful. Some of the GTs look beefy and redneck, others look battered and stock car, but all the firebirds have nicer bodywork (and red is a sexier colour than shades of brown and grey).

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Are you serious?

The GT500 has amazing curves. Plus you can always get it in red or yellow. Although it might be a bit garish for some.

11. Unicorn

Pepper grey is one of my favourite colours in the world. Especially on a car.

Don't be too harsh on the thread resurrection b_e! It's still a hot topic, almost two years on :thumb:

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

No car topic will ever be too old or worn out for you automotive loons, you'd beat the horse's ashes if you could :p

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

:jawdrop:

I came.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

PM me any time. I've lived with my '06 for 3 years now. I've been an active member of the MOCGB for years. I know the cars inside out. I've judged at MOCGB shows for years also. There's not much I don't know about them.... any of them, from 64 to 2011. I'm not an expert on the Mustang II (74 to 78), simply because you don't see many... plus they're the Mustang equivalent of the deformed cousin that's kept locked in the cellar :)... but anything else, especially 2005 onwards, I'm your man.

You either get it, or you don't :)

Meh... hardly the same. The reason was financial - that Halicki actually bought all the cars used in that film himself, with his own money. It wasn't "modified" to look like a car that didn't exist, or be special in anyway.

Talking of that film: Anyone who's seen the original will know what I'm talking about here, but anyone who hasn't.. go watch it... then realise that the "Eleanor" in this version was one car... not many cars.. but they used ONE car throughout. At the end it was still drivable (just). Halicki did the driving, and while he was injured twice (once hitting the lamp post at 85, and then in the final scene), both car, and driver remained intact.

Who needs a Euro NCAP rating? :) Just watch the scene on the free way when he hits the post... amazing.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2010
  15. Unicorn

I second this!

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Like I said earlier in the thread, I like both cars mentioned :)

Tags: