1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Shift light scheme

Discussion in 'General' started by DotComBoy, 24 Oct 2003.

1. DotComBoy

DotComBoy What's a Dremel?

hi. im searching for a shift light scheme. i dont want to use usual shiftlights such as autometers. light too strong.. dont want to get blind whlie changing gears. i know some of them use a motorola IC.
    well..
    tkz..
    []´s

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Presumably you just want an LED or something that illuminates when the RPM's reach a certain level.

Maybe it could be done with a PIC chip counting the pulses from the tach?

3. mannisson

mannisson What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 29 Oct 2003
  4. avsfan733

avsfan733 What's a Dremel?

what I would do, is use leds. open your tach, and set it up so that a little conductor starts at where you want the light to illuminate, and stay lit until the thing lowers. run power to the tach needle, and then run wire from the little conductor strip on the gauge surface to a resistor and then to the LED and then to your negative...you can also use layers to light up different LED's at different points, like you see on racecars where you get three or four LEDs progressively lighting up to the redline. Make sure the last one lights before the actual fuel/spark cut becaus you have to have a chance to react

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

That's a very simple and effective way, but it might be difficult to implement...

6. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Could use something like this if you dont mind building a circuit yourself. Me & my mate are going to attempt this soon on his mini, parts come to about £10 iirc from maplins, and thats mainly the chips.

Tags: