1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Shipping a PC.

Discussion in 'General' started by Akkatha, 30 Aug 2011.

1. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

Hi guys, hoping to get a bit of advice.

Long story short I'm having to send some of my stuff to Dubai via an excess baggage company as I'm moving out there soon. The boxes are here and I'm starting to pack them. My tower will just fit in lengthways (ie front to back) with some space around the sides. I wont be able to get the polystyrene on, but I can wrap some bubblewrap around.

Anyway, is there any advice on what I should do to prep it? Should I remove any parts, CPU cooler etc or do you reckon it'll be alright? It's a pretty large oldish Akasa one, seems pretty stable but I'm not sure.

Long rambling post for a simple question.... seems to be the way my brain is working recently, too much to do! Cheers all :)

2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

It *should* be okay. After all, most retail computers are sold and shipped preassembled, right? There may be greater risk of damage if you separate all of the components and ship them individually.

But after it's shipped, make sure to check that everything is in its place. I had my video card pop out slightly during shipping once, and couldn't figure out what was wrong for about an hour.

If you have a super-large CPU cooler, that's maybe the one thing that should be removed.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would take off the CPU/graphics cooler to reduce weight rumbling round, but other than that I'd expect it to be fine. Most parts are fairly light and screwed in good and tight. :)

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

If you have the boxes and it's a big case personally I'd strip it, box everything and store what I can inside the case in the boxes.

Although I've hauled my PC from Bolton to London (Not exactly Dubai, but have you ever tried using the tube at rush hour with two massive bags? They get hit a lot.) a few times and it's had some fair old clangs and bangs and never had a problem.

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I would take out the gfx and the HDD. Bring the HDD in bubble rap yourself.

6. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

I would advise stripping it as well, but you could always do what some of the preassembled companies do and stick the 'air pockets' (those massive air filled things) in the PC to stop stuff moving as much.

7. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

Ahhh I have some air pockets, I never thought of that! Thats a fantastic idea! I think that's my best bet. I dont know where my thermal paste has gone and besides that, I'm not sure how the customs guys in Dubai will react to a metallic substance in a syringe looking container, so I was trying to avoid taking the cooler off ;)

Besides.... if anything does get broken as unlikely as it is, it's a good excuse to upgrade I guess! I have my laptop to tide me over anyway so I'll be fine.

Thanks for your advice guys, fingers crossed it gets there fine, I wont know for 6 weeks :)