1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Shogun 2: Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 4 Feb 2011.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

About the 460. Its still a good card for most games. Its just this one (at least for now) that it thrashes.

But i can play the game at fairly high settings, just not 'Ultra'. It looks very nice and the fps is very very playable indeed.

I was just dissapointed as this it the first game i havnt been able to max on my 460 :(

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

bdigital - I've noticed a very obvious pattern when it comes to hardware demands of games. If they are a PC only game, you need a lot more juice. Multiplatform games do not push my 580 in the slightest.

3. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Which gtx 580 have u got?

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

5. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

6. b3z

b3z What's a Dremel?

Cant wait to get hold of this game, looks absoutley sick

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I know it’s been out a while, but I’m never sure how much I’m going to like these games so don’t usually purchase them straight away. Anyway, I picked this up for a fiver a short while ago, and I’ve just started the campaign - totally forgotten how brutal the Total War games can be. One minute you are romping around the map, and then with one decisive defeat you lose a load of honour, everyone makes war on you, blocks your trade routes and give your provinces a massive plundering.

I actually had to start again.

I’m playing the Chosokabe to start with, because I really like using Chosokabe bowmen to soften up a target before sending my troops in. Still a bit bewildered by the literally millions of things going on. When you play the Chosokabe you start out on an Island to the South. I had a real time of it defeating a enemy to the west (think it was a Hojo clan fortress). I had lost around 900 men and a general, and scraped a narrow victory after raining arrows down on them. Usually I peacefully occupy a castle, but these guys gave me such a hard time, that I decided to loot the place for 10,000 gold. Now I’m going to tax them to high heaven and occupy it with an army over winter. They are paying for their mistakes!

Does anyone have any tips for taking on strongholds? I heard Siege Weapons massively slowed down an army.

8. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I usually find taking strongholds in the Total War games gets tougher as unit size increases - might just be me though! I can't remember if you can change it in Shogun 2, as I've not played it for a while.

I find keeping siege weapons on a ship works quite well if a place you want to capture is on/near the coast. You can move your army at the usual speed, and have the boats sail to wherever needed with the siege weapons. Disembark near the army and join it. That or move the entire army by sea if your fleet is of a decent strength.