1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Shogun 2: Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 4 Feb 2011.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

You can force AA via driver panel.

2. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Payday in 6 days...Cannot wait.....Sooooo gonna love this game XD

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Any ideas when the AA is going to be sorted in an official update?

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Supposedly in a patch coming April.

5. Askura

Askura What's a Dremel?

Thanks! I love the game; and I'm no naysayer at any length. But searching sometimes fails completely and when you're in co-op campaign it can lock on your turn so you can't end the turn yet it does not move on. It also lost my avatar mode data so I had to start from scratch. It also hasn't recorded my wins. (Despite the fact up until last night I haven't lost since I got severely owned)

Gameplay wise in battles; it's pretty sound. But multiplayer modes can have faults :/

I have about 15 hours game time on it; and I plan to get much much more out of it.

6. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

Just a note regarding bugs, I've played approx 40 hours according to steam and not seen one bug, glitch or crash. The ai does occasionally implode but it generally does a good job and can be surprisingly good at times. This is the first total war since Rome where I have actually lost a campaign. I would highly recommend it also can't wait to see what it looks like with a little AA in April.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am struggling to see where the AA will make a difference. I forced it on and really could not tell the difference. Of course they will be a bit more clever than Catalyst Control Centre, but I think it looks good anyway.

It's not as if I am sitting on the back of my General's horse when I'm playing anyway!

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I forced AA at home and it didnt work. :sigh:
    But the game needs AA, those spears look silly.

My current favourite unit is the Katana Samurai. Amazing the chop-chop they do against Ashigarus.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I'm sad to say that IMO, the demo for this game was better than the full game. The performance was better in the demo but worse is how you can't enable AA, can't set Shaders above sm3. If the GFX options menu had been the same in the demo I would have stayed well clear until patches and price drops.

To add some extra insult to injury the MP options are really buggy, my favourite being the bug where after an MP battle, the buttons on screen don't respond the way they should i.e. the avatar button loading up the players screen instead.

I really want to like this game but I feel like I just bought a 30 quid beta, hell even empire has less issues on release and that's saying something.

I am sure this game will get better in time and I know that no TW games are ever perfect on release but personally I am feeling a little annoyed with my self for being an early adopter of this messy title. Its 90%+ metacritic rating perplexes me.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It is, by far, the best TW released to date, the one that has the less issues at release and the most complete gameplay features (remember the uniform editor from Empire?).
    Your comparison to the demo is just weird, the armies you had in the actual battles were pre-determined.
    And Empire was just a crash fest for the whole year I tried to play it, still is to some people and still has serious issues with nVidia graphic cards.

You might have reasons to complain on the MP, though. Never really tried it and probably never will. The strategic options are too watered down.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

DeckerBR, the AA and Shaders will be fixed in a patch coming in April. Yes it's a bit annoying that it wasn't sorted for launch, but a month late is better than never. The game still runs with no AA and SM3 after all.

As for MP bugs? Not tried, but I've yet to find a single SP bug, which is something new for a Total War game.

12. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Just gave in an ordered this :D hopefully have it tomorrow / saturday.

my steam id is gilljoy :D anyone add me if they fancy kicking my noob ass at this

13. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Having loads of trouble with siege battles for some reason. I think they made it much more realistic in terms of how costly it is to attack a fortified position.

At the moment the only tactic that seems to work is mass a huge number of archers and just pepper them to death. I've heard that you can use ninjas to help but they just seem to get killed by towers for me before I can make use of them... Anybody got and tips?

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Just siege, dont attack.
    Yes, that army will be tied there for 3-5 turns but its a lot easier. And if the AI tries to sally they are the ones that need to win. Just play defensively.

15. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Purchased this and im loving it. I was one for buying the previous games like rome and empire but not getting stuck into the campaign enough. Just playing online with my friends but with the multiplayer campaign i can see me playing this for a long time!

16. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Hey guys,

Just wondering if people could give me their general thoughts on the Co-Op element of this, and is it quite monotomous waiting for users to take turns i.e. is it more like e-mail chess, or do people tend to stay constantly on for a few hours a night, then leave it till the next night?

17. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Just played the tutorial as i'm a complete noob at this sort of game, and to be honest, i find it slow and uninvolving. also the names of everything are too alien for me to remember them and what they do. I have just turned it off after 2 hrs playing and i cannot remember a single word in there. I'll give it another go tomorrow but i fear this is gonna be another of them games that goes in the cupboard for a while :(

18. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Bought the game yesterday and I'm going to jump on it tonight, I cannot wait :D

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Thought I may as well post this here as well as the gaming bargains thread...

Shogun 2 @ £17.99 @ Game.co.uk Deal of the Day

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The fun of the game is in successfully executing your strategy. It can take several in-game years. Meanwhile you must develop your provinces, keep good diplomatic relations, research new tech, organize the army, etc.
    The battles are just when everything comes together. Is your economy strong enough to recruit and maintain several armies, are your units upgraded via tech or buildings, do you have the info you need to pick the enemies, etc.
    Well, the names are japanese...

Complete Shogun 2 Resource Map:
    http://shogun.bitcrumbs.com/