1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Shogun 2: Total War

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 4 Feb 2011.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The tutorial is a bit crappy and boring. IMO just start a game with an easy clan such as Shimazu on easy difficulty and learn by trial and error.

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

How is this running on peoples systems? Are you guys able to play it maxed at 60fps?

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Splendidly well.

4. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I think I love this game....

5. waynejuve

waynejuve What's a Dremel?

thinking off getting this game.fancy a change from my normal range off games

6. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Direct X 11 patch notes up on the Total War Forum - hitting this Monday.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Believe it or not, fully maxxed it can make my 580 cry!

8. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Anyone elses GPU's getting rather hot playing this? the noise of my GTX 570 on the map is really bloody loud :(

edit : hitting around 80C on the map let alone in game

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm exactly the same mate. Something about the campaign map sends my GPU into over drive.

10. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I love Shogun 2, but it's really inefficient. It seems to get less efficient (and thus the GPU gets hotter) as the campaign goes on, too.

Sometimes I get loads of stuttering on the campaign map, and sometimes this happens in battle too. Pretty annoying and I've been hoping for a patch but it doesn't look like anything's coming.

11. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Yes the campaign map and menu screens are rendered in 3d, and even though they do not look that great they max your GPU if you have the settings up.

This means my 570 is running at 100% ALL the time - even paused and in menus. Not great design.

Stuttering in the campaign map was fixed with the Nvidia 270.51 beta driver.

However some people are reporting that the newer 270.61 WHQL drivers have messed up their performance again.

In any case, when we get the patch on Monday hopefully they have optimised the game as well as introducing directx 11.

As my 570 is struggling in direct x 9, I am hoping it does not explode when it tries to run directx 11 and anti aliasing.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

13. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My GPU went haywire in the campaign screen after the patch - up to 90C.

14. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Game looks very very pretty in-battle after the patch.

DAMN this game looks AMAZING.

Its the subtle things, the difference between dx9 and dx11 is great looking

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Patch has done great things for me on my system. The game looks way better but runs smoother too!

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

AA does wonders!

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I picked this up a while back but I'm really struggling to play it, I've never played a total war before so I'm failing miserably.

the in game tutorials aren't helping that much either, anyone willing to give me some sound advice?

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Where are you struggling? Strategic or battle map? => Can you field the same number of soldiers as your enemies? or With similar sized armies you lose battles?

19. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Yes i had my GTX480 going pretty hard on the map screen. But its knocking it back fine in game was getting some really fps during large battles.

20. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Seems more efficient and better looking, which is good :) It was fairly buggy and it's not perfect now, but it's much better.

As impar says, is there anything in particular you're struggling with? :)

If it's in general, I agree that the in game tutorials aren't great. Perhaps start with playing a historical battle on easy difficulty.

Avoid 'The Battle of Sekigahara' though - it's the hardest by far (I can now beat it on normal difficulty, but at first I got owned on easy difficulty). Also perhaps avoid the castle seige historical battle (the one where you're helping the people defending the castle, but first you have to beat back the enemy's surrounding army - even though they've got tonnes of calvarly).

Just play them a few times on easy difficulty and - even if you lose a couple of times - you should get into the swing of the battle system soon enough.

Remember also that Yari Ashigaru beat calvarly, Bow Ashigaru beat anything at range but suck at hand-to-hand combat, Yari Samurai and Katana Samurai are great at hand-to-hand combat, and calvarly are good at charging but suck against yari troops. So it's like rock-paper-scissors really.

Regarding the campaign map: I always find the campaigns slow at first (there's lots of clans so turns take a while to process, plus there's not much you can do per turn), but they do become more interesting after a while.