1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Should I buy a decent camera?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GeorgeStorm, 23 Feb 2012.

1. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

you clearly don't need or want one otherwise this thread wouldn't exist...

(and some actual advice, a higher end compact with manual controls such as a nikon p300 might be a good bet)

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Eh? That post makes no sense.
    Would I like one, yes, I'm trying to find out whether people think it would be worth it by asking people who own them/know more than me?

Edit:
    May have been sarcasm, never know over the internet. I'll have a looksie at the p300

3. GeorgeStorm

Have been looking around more, and having had a play with my friends 450D, I definitely want to get a DSLR, having spoken to my family my Dad would be interested in it if it turns out after a month or two I get bored :p

I think I would like to be able to record video if I wanted, which means I'd have to get atleast a Canon 500D.
    Does the D3100 seem the best option then?

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

D3100 is a brilliant first dSLR - take the plunge if you can! :)

5. GeorgeStorm

Can anyone recommend any decent lenses if I were to buy it body only?
    Would be looking for a general purpose lens to begin with, although in the future I can see myself getting some macro stuff.

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

35mm 1.8 prime Nikon.
    Its amazing.

Jessops link is here

[​IMG]

It has a very short focus range, so you can get close for "zoom" and it works fine for wider shots.

(Bare in mind its a prime to no zoom)

I use mine all the time.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2012
  7. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I wouldn't buy a DSLR if you are not sure if you want to get into photography more serioiusly.

A prosumer compact will give you way better lens range without having to spend a lot of money on lenses. And bear in mind that if you go the DSLR route, you will end up spending several times the price of your body on lenses.

8. GeorgeStorm

I'll have a looksie Lance, although not sure it will ideal as my first and only lens (atleast to begin with)

Valo, reason I'm liking the idea of a DSLR is I see it as something I could get into, and purely on the chance of that I'd rather get one, and resale won't be an issue. I don't mind spending money on it if I get into it :)

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just get a kit with the standard 18-55mm zoom, it's a very decent starter/general purpose lens.

10. GeorgeStorm

That's what I'll most likely end up doing, merely wondering if there was a no brainer better lens kinda thing :p

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I only ended up buying the 35mm prime because I prefer it to the flash indoors, most of the time I get good enough results with the kit lens.

12. Lance

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Have you seen this site?

He's a pretty good reviewer, and that page should pretty much answer the question behind this thread.

I would really recomend the 35mm from your original post, as it will take great pics of your PC aswell as being useful in most social environments, but it is your call.

Also because I tend to find that the stock lens at that level is a bit annoying because it doesn't zoom quite far enough to be useful and I spent all my time swapping between the 18-55 and my 55-200.

I now carry a:

35mm 1.8 £150 - always
    50mm 1.4 £300 - sometimes
    18-108mm 3.5 (D90 stock lens) £200 -always
    55-200mm 3.5 £150 - sometimes

I find that this covers 99% of situations, plus all your friends will end up with your pics as their facebook profile pic :p

13. GeorgeStorm

Yeah tis a nice site (content wise :p)

Am looking into whether the people I'm looking from buying from are willing to sell body only.
    Although, as a first lens, I'm not sure whether I could stretch to it :/

Anyone have any experience with this lens?
    Sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM

Been offered a D3100 with that lens, 3rd party grip and extra battery for £400. Trying to work out if it's worth it over a D3100 with just the normal stuff for £340 :/

If I had to choose between a 500D and a D3100, is there a clear winner? From what I've read/seen, I'm leaning towards the nikon.

14. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Fuc* a dSLR...

Half the world owns a dSLR just to take 20 photos in Auto/Av mode with a kit lens a week.
    The technology is moving that fast that if you don't use a camera a lot, it will lose value every month.

I definitely recommend a camera with some manual settings. So you can learn use & understand camera when/if you want to get more serious with it.

I love the Fuji S series and recommend it for anyone. It is a quite big, and has MANY dSLR features including the similar body without the interchangeable lenses. You can get a little older model for $170 or so. If you want a small camera then I love the little Lumixes with wide angle lenses.

Here's what I would buy if I were you: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Fine...58NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332133569&sr=8-1

15. GeorgeStorm

That's interesting, I think you're the first person to say don't get one from that point of view. I was under the impression that they didn't tend to lose a lot of value :/
    You suggest getting one of those, and then getting something else if I were to get into it more, and that's something I want to avoid, I don't want to buy a stopgap so to speak :/

I'll have more of a think, since that camera does look good.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

From my experience entry level DSLR bodies don't hold their value particularly well, but this is only an issue if you are buying new with the intention of upgrading in year or two.

However much like your PC and your car if you are using them sufficiently then you can just write off the deprecation as a cost of enjoying your hobby. A good compact might have all the same features but it is going to depreciate even quicker as the used market is smaller.

If a compact will do the job then you might as well save some cash and get one but if you out grow it then you'll probably be out a higher percentage even if the absolute cost is lower.

17. GeorgeStorm

Sorry didn't see this reply.

I'm set on getting a DSLR now, I definitely think it will be worth it for me.

Still haven't settled on one 100% yet though, main leaders now are the D3100, 550D or the K-r (pentax)

18. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I'm not too familiar with new Nikons.
    As for the 550D, I absolutely love that camera. I bought two of those for my friends when they were visiting NYC on their vacation.

The sensor is brilliant, the body is light yet sturdy & comfy. It is a beast with a 50/1.8 on, when you put a more expensive lens it just keeps on going!

To be honest if I weren't shooting weddings, events and needed quick access to some controls + few advance menu settings, I would not see much difference between the 550D & a 7D. The high ISO is VERY USABLE, and overall great camera.

As a good introduction a 18-135 kit lens is REALLY GOOD (amazing when you consider the price)
    Plus a 50/1.8 and you're set to for few years of photographing.

19. Lance

Is the 18-135 the stock lens?

I would always recomend going for the 18-100+ as your "kit lens".

As I said about I have abandoned my 18-55 nikor for a 18-118 and its SO much better.

And a 1.8 (I would stick with a 35 on a crop lens) 50mm is also great.

20. GeorgeStorm

Well, if I went for the Nikon, then it would come with a 18-105mm lens, but for both the canon and pentax, I was planning on just getting the kit lens, which is 18-55mm.
    Prices vary a little, £330 for the Pentax, £365 for the Nikon, and £380 for the Canon.