1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Should I change my Netgear DG834G v3?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcrider, 26 Oct 2014.

1. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

All,

NetGear DG834G

- Where I live I get approximately 2Mbps speed.
    - I have also had this modem router for almost 6-7 years.

However, looking around I like the new wireless AC routers which are out.

I'm not an expert in the field but know enough to get things up and running. So, should I change my Netgear DG834G v3 router for something newer?

The only advantage I can think of would be the wireless range as nothing I own (yet) uses AC wireless.

I should be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks,

JC

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Changing your router would as you say only give you better features and improved Wi-Fi. I doubt you would gain any significant speed on you broadband. I say go for it and can highly recommend the Netgear DGN2200 V4. Ace little box :thumb:

3. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

Thanks Pookie, I appreciate the fast feedback and added suggestion for which device to look at.

I was spurred into looking at my router after casually glancing through the ASUS products. Do you have any experience or suggestions for these, or any other wireless AC router?

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry bud I only use Netgears and Drayteks. I would avoid Zyxcel as I have found them to be pretty naff. Plenty of others here will vouch for the Asus kit though :thumb:

5. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

Ok, thanks again for the fast replies :)

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have an Asus RT-N66U, the wireless range is fantastic and I have tried a few other modern routers (NetGear & Cisco). I can't speak highly enough of the Asus range.

7. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

Thank you for the suggestion. It looks a great router!

Does anyone know if I could use my current DG834G as a modem and connect it to this router? Or, would I be better off getting a newer modem (bearing in mind I only get 2Mbps speed)?

Finally, with a modem/router combination, does it have an impact on speed as its an additional pass through from the modem to the router?

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'm currently using a DG834G as the ADSL modem with a Netgear 3300v2 connected to it configured so I can just use the 5GHz Channel for Wireless N and also to use the USB port for a media server hard drive.

I do it this way this mainly because I have a problem with the 3300v2 overheating badly enough to affect the signal on its 2.4GHz Channel. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this in particular though. However I seem to be getting similar speeds on the 5GHz channel as I did when I was using it as a standalone Router at about 160Mbps.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yes you can do that, if you only get 2Mbps then it won't make a difference. If you were getting fibre speeds then maybe...

Asus do routers with ADSL modems as well (DSL prefix compared to my RT model) but they aren;t cheap. I got lucky and got mine new open box for an amazing price on the evil bay.