1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Should I replace my monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Igniseus, 2 Feb 2010.

1. Igniseus

Igniseus What's a Dremel?

I currently have a BenQ FP241W but considering a new monitor.

I bought the above monitor about 3 years ago, and its accuracy, viewing angles etc are great but I find 2 things wrong with it. The first is that its way too bright, even dropped to brightness 30 (below that ruins the image) its still incredibly bright (its a 500cd/m2 backlight). The second thing is that while the image/colour accuracy is very accurate, its also very 'dull', which especially shows in gaming, its main use.

I have my PS3 hooked up to it, and while it looks good, connected to the 37" Samsung Series 4 downstairs it looks so much better. The colours are vivid and everything looks so much more alive.

So....to stop myself going blind and hopefully get a better looking image I was thinking about replacing this old but outstanding monitor.

I'm not bothered about colour accuracy anymore, I just want it to look nice when playing games.

Are TV's only capable of producing these vivid (probably unrealistic and over-exagerated, but looks great) images? Or can I grab a modern monitor that produces a similar image to the Series 4 Samsung for example?

One monitor I've been looking at is this G2420HDBL. It's TN, but I dont care if that means it looks better in games.

Can anyone offer me some advice on monitors and this dilemma please?

p.s. Budget is £200.

Many thanks.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

stopping sitting in a dark room and you should be fine.

3. Igniseus

I keep the ceiling light on at all times, though its not very bright. The monitor is directly next to the window so when gaming I need to close the curtains or else dark scenes are ruined. Though, at night time there is no natural light, so that wont help either way.

4. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Mate if you want to

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I wouldn't and you can try lowering the contrast, and set the color levels a bit less.

My 1970NX has that same issue of being insanely bright at the wrong times.

Nothing a bit of fiddling won't solve.

6. Igniseus

But the image looks dull enough without dropping contrast and colour levels :/

It does have a Dynamics mode, which visually does make it looks a lot better (still a ways off the samsung though), however I noticed last night it is totally crushing the darks and whites. I used an LCD calibration site (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/) and a massive amount of the black levels were all solid black and likewise for whites. On Standard they are all unique, but colours look far more dull. In terms of games, it made a multi-tone grey armour turn solid black.

What I don't get is that in Dynamics, it isn't the contrast, brightness or colour which is making it look nicer. It seems to be applying some settings I dont have access to in standard :(

I think i might just wait until I eventually get a TV and play on that, its too risky hoping that one of these cheaper monitors will offer a more vivid image. Looking at reviews, people say nearly every LCD looks fantastic.

7. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

That old BenQ you have has an 8-bit colour panel. Going for an inferior 6-bit TN panel is taking a step back imo.