1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Should I update to Windows 10 - and "how"?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pete*, 1 Apr 2016.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hi all,

So, I kind of want to update to windows 10 because a few people are telling me I should.
    I have never used it, but if it works fine then I don't see a reason not to update to it.
    I am currently on Windows 7.

Now, I know it is free to update to Win10 at the moment, until mid July or so I believe.
    However, I want to essentially re-do my computer.

I have an SSD waiting to go in, i'm getting a new case and giving it (the current components and
    software/programs installed etc) a right good clear out.

I don't know if i'll be able to do this before the end of July, so what is the best way to go about
    this without losing Win10's free offer?
    Should I just update my current windows now and then make an install USB for Win10 once
    it is on and use that for the re-build?
    Or is there another way I should do this?
    I just feel as it is free and i'm going to update to it eventually, I may as well before it costs me money.

Any advice?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Why not just bob in your new shiny SSD and clean install Windows 10 to that straight off? You'll be able to activate it with your Windows 7 key (activate after the install is done) and then job's done.

Or am I missing something?

3. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Didn't even know I could do that?
    Thought you had to have a full install of win10 already to make a USB install
    drive?
    Ideally what I'd like to do is make a USB install of win10 with all the most common/used progs
    streamlined in so they're already there.
    Not sure how is the best way to do that :)

But I'll look into just installing straight off onto the SSD.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You don't need a full Win10 to make the stick dude. If you click on the upgrade option within Windows 7 or 8 it will take you to a site where you download it straight to a stick as a full install affair. That's how I took my rig from 8.1-10.

I made the jump pretty early and I've paid for it. I'm stuck on an older version of 10 (the calculator is different) and I can't upgrade it because the update messes up my PC and fails. At some point I need to do a clean install, though it does seem to work OK (apart from the calculator functions).