1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice should i upgrade or na?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grritsshawn, 19 Apr 2011.

1. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Well i do a lot of 3d models and watch a lot of movies and edit them and also i game a lot but i want to be able to max everygame out also and have it very future proof

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

3D modelling and video editing with games?
    i7 2600k (for rendering, i5 2500k suitable if you don't render that often and aren't going to use all the available speed)
    GTX570/580(should help in the modelling viewport if your models are really complex)
    SSD

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

QFT.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I'd go for more power anyway to be honest extra cpu is very handy when running multiple apps (photoshop when texturing etc).

How much 3D work do you do? and how complex is it? do you ever do physics calculations or multi pass mental ray renders or anything?

Unless you're doing very complex stuff your i5 is fine for a while, whereas an SSD makes every part of your system faster, including the boot time of 3D Max or any other apps you decide to put on there.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Looking at his avatar, sketchup models?

6. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

+1 on SSD.

While it might not make huge differences on gaming side, for work it will make the experience much better with everything becoming much more snappier, especially if you open and close files and apps a lot.

7. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

sketch up models i do a lot of sometimes just for fun not really caring for the scales others down to the mm. I do runescape, cod, and dirt 2 videos and some NFS, use sony vegas and camstasias for that stuff and as for photoshop a very little unless my friend james is helping me do a design for a case he will do coloring and shadowing