1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Should size be the new battleground in the motherboard market?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 8 Jun 2012.

1. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

The huge ugly 4 pin Molex connector needs to D.I.E.!!

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Thanks Bindi - though it's not quite what I was looking for (and I can see several reasons why such a thing will probably never be big even though I like the idea).

What I'd prefer is a slightly more open standard but where the case could act as a stand for the screen (giving you a lot more flexibility in both the case design and options and in the selection of monitor.) Both the monitor and the motherboard would be replaceable.The case could be about the thickness of an dual slot video card.

agreed

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think better 4/8-pin Motherboard connector placement has to be made. That corner is very annoying. Although it's understandable given that power traces have to be nearby.

4. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

I just have this:

d-TBx

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can buy this from In-Win iirc. It sits under the monitor arm which has a VESA mount. It's a commercial product though.

6. kyluxury

kyluxury What's a Dremel?

I love my mATX board, even housed in a big case...gives it room to breath!

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The K1? Interesting but that's below the monitor and lacks much of what I was looking for. Cross that with the AIO systems, give me a choice of standardized motherboards, think Intel's slim ITX crossed with Shuttle's SFF boards with a splash of BTX, and then you'd be getting closer. Perhaps I'll have to build my own some day.

8. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

love this idea. maybe make the expansion slots the same, and have add on cpu socket boards? i was thinking about modular chipsets, but that would come with each board so... nulled. then have slim ram boards, so that each processor board could have a (to a point) selectable # of ram slots... i also would very much like to see selectable mem for vidcards... maybe extra gpu cards to put on them?
    so that you can have 1, or 2 gpus for the card... maaaaaaaybe selectable(again, to a point, ie restricted to one arch) gpu so you can selct num of cores... so that would require interchangeable chipsets to handle cards... and have it able to switch btween gaming and workstation(tesla) cards depending on application...
    and also have a puny integrated gpu in the base board, have you choose what connectors to integrate to base unit, and when you arent on resource hungry apps(3d programs, games) have it switch to that, deactivate some ram, extra boards to save power while you are just watchin netflix or browsing or posting... then have it deactivate some fans entirely to save more power... this would require a fan controller to be communicating with motherboard about current needed resources, and if that low resource requirment stays low for long enough(so that your 690's, for instance, dont switch off in a dialogue and crash your game... ) turn off cooling accs, slow down pump or other vital cooling units... thats all i got for now...

Last edited: 20 Sep 2012
Tags: Add Tags