1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the net be more secure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N4N01D, 21 Jan 2006.

?

Should the Internet be more secure?

1. Yes

30.4%
  2. No

69.6%
  1. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

Hi, just a random question, so do you think there should be more security in the internet, for example more use of ssl, encryption etc for connections, or do you think its ok as it is.

Personally i would like to be able to encrypt all data going in/out even to google :)

Whats your thoughts?

N4N01D

edit: for example you can connect to irc normally using ports 6667-6669 however what im saying is that you should have the option to use another port for encypted traffic / ssl or equiv. Or on google you can have a secure connection to google, etc. What im getting at is that the users should have an Option to add additional security, if they use it thats up to them.

So for the poll, should the net be more secure in the form of optional secure connection methods / encryption where people that know what they are doing can use a more secure method, yes or no?

Last edited: 21 Jan 2006
  2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

For the average person, encryption is utterly unnecessary. Those who need to protect their identity online, can do a fairly good job of it with a minimal budget, and the know-how they have.

Use of things like SSL would just confuse things, add extra layers of complication to problems, and would annoy the hell outta all the tech support guys out there who had to factor that into everything they dealt with, when 99% of the people they were helping probably wouldn't even have heard about it, let alone care about having it.

edit: Argh, a poll that asks a question that the post doesn't. I hate it when a topic title and poll question differ from the question thats in the post.

Do I think the internet should be a safer more reliable place? Yes. Do I think that means we all need high level encryption and total privacy? No.

If you'll specify which of those things you meant I can vote :p

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm going gto go with Spec on this one. THat question is WAY too broad. I run a small, personal website and used to run a site for a museum. Bith sites are basically static and I can't see any reason why either should be encrypted.

4. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Can't see the point. Things that need to be secure, for the most part, already are. Why would you want to encrypt traffic to/from Google? Somehow I doubt that A) they cache your IP address and B) if you want to find something "dodgy" just disconnect & reconnect. Dynamically assigned IP addresses have their uses.

not much point IMO... the 'net is about freedom. I don't want more rules clogging that up.

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I voted no, but as usual there is a but. "The Net" is a vague discription. And I don't think the security has to come from the server side alone... So, No ;)

6. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i think the net would be a better place if home users (ie people that no nothing and have 6bill virus and spyware) did't use the net lol

Should the net be more secure? NO :worried: i think its too secure

7. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

I think users should have to pass a test before they are allowed onto the internet. TBFH

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Making the net more secure would probably slow it down with more bandwidth and processing power needed at the servers to decrypt everything, it would be too much hassle and if users get hacked or whatever it's their fault for not having more security on their computers.

And Fatboy, I say you are correct :D I get people who try to dialup to the internet when they have a router, people who disconnect their computer's LAN connection to turn off the internet. People who ask me how to use google. The worst thing is that don't understand that viewing a webpage is the same thing as downloading something, it uses bandwidth and they complain they have been blocked by their ISP for exceeding their monthly limit (usually these 2gb limits).

:sigh:

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

qft, all you have to do to see a perfect example of this is read the comments for a random digg article....

10. ZincteK

ZincteK Minimodder

its not the net tho really if you keep your pc full up todate and make sure that you have a good firewall then ur sorted from the net :)

or have i got the wrong end of the question

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Thats why real men use slashdot :D

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

slashdot is just as bad :p

13. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

calls to mind that joke IE download box on w3schools huh?

I think I must agree with fatboy and wonka. a test should be manditory before the agerage user trots his or her small mind out on a highway... you have to take a driving test... why should the net be any diferient?

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've placed credit card orders from school and accidentally stayed logged into Newegg (where my CC# is stored) there, and I've yet to lose a cent.

I totally agree - you should need to take an internet test before using it. Head on down to wherever, surf for an hour with a clean install, if it's still crapware-free after that hour and you still have an identity, you're good to go :) Or something to that effect.

Hamish, stop reading /. at -1. Only Chuck Norris can do that.

I love the AOL commercials, though. "Want a better internet? Come to AOL!" Yep, you'll be with a ton of other people who also want a better internet, rather than the small one you were coming from. Oh I love to twist their implied meanings :) Yes, the internet will be better - it's so fooked that you can't get on most of the time, and everyone else is better off for it. I really hope they delete all my mom's old saved email again... it almost pushed her out of their grasp. But alas, n00bism dominated again.

Yeah, I'd love quite a few improvements to the internet. Mostly speed. Almost entirely making up and down speeds equal as manditory (by raising upload speeds, not bringing down download speeds, of course). The rest goes into making it so I don't need to have adblock installed. As long as you're not being a point-blank retard, it takes a certain level of skill to need a more secure connection. Guess what? The connection to those Nicuraguan bankers is secure too! It sure won't stop you from losing thousands of dollars thanks to outright stupidity.