1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

good. if you are after a nass that you can expand in a drobo-esque way then defo look at building an unraid box

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Well-Known Member

UnRaid is nice, i just cat justify $129 for a license when freeNas does the job for me personally.

3. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I got mine pre-loaded with 11Tb on ebay at the end of last year for $242 shipped. Ebay is the place to get a used drobo. A 48Tb 12 bay auction just completed for $2k. The prices for used Drobos is pretty awesome on ebay. It seems there's always something really good about to end.

But keep Yaka's comments in mind. I haven't had any bad experiences yet, but the point of this thing is to have a redundant storage solution. If the whole thing dies then that's pretty stupid .

4. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

just google reboot loop. i had paid for extended drobo support. both times the response was buy a new drobo. and its not just me that has that response for them. while work they are great the way you can expand storage is great but drobo will **** you in the end.

i hope you dont suffer same as me ive had 2 differant generations of 8bas drobo nas fail me. if you do ever hppened to have it constantly reboot and drobo support aint got thier **** together still then keep this url bookmarked http://www.techknight.com/blog/2012/10/17/howto-fix-the-drobo-pro-infinite-reboot-loop.html it helped me with my last one

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Just ordered the DX513 bay extension for mine.

Should be up to 22TB by next week.

6. Byron C

Byron C No liability accepted as a result of this post

My Gen8 Microserver "Saturn" is now joined by "Rhea":

[​IMG]

HP XW4600 workstation, which used to be a desktop my parents were using (I've since replaced it with an MSI Cubi-N mini PC). It has two 146GB 3.5" SAS drives and they are the noisiest drives I've heard in a long, long time... How they put up with these drives in the lounge I'll never know.

This model has been tested with the 771 Xeon mod, so I've got a couple of mod stickers and a Xeon X3323 on the way to replace the E6750 it currently runs. It also seems to support ECC memory, so I'll whack in a big chunk of RAM at some point. This will host a development instance of SQL Server, and I might move my Plex Media Server instance across to it if the Xeon works out. The Celeron G1610T in my microserver is a bit stretched by Plex transcoding duties...!

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So the other week I finally managed to find a Rack that suited my needs, That wasn't a fortune and included shipping So it was finally time to replace my Lack Rack.

Specs:
    Rack: ENCLOSURE SYSTEMS 262 12U fully enclosed.
    Mikrotik RB-2011
    Watchguard Firebox x750e Running PFsense Currently not active but configured for a transparent Firewall
    Cable Management plate
    Hp 1920 dl-24
    24port Patch panel
    2u Shelf currently holding my 4 unit Pi cluster
    HP DL360G7 running as my ESXi Host
    Supermicro 8x 3.5bay running Freenas (only half of the bays currently populated.

This rack is a wonderful thing, I paid £120 from ebay for it which while not too cheap for including delivery it was very good. I am probably going to replace the glass on the front door for some Mesh to get better airflow, and i will possibly do the same on the back door for the same airflow reasons
    Once the Cluster is configured with a load balancer (going to use HAProxy for this) I will have a blog up and will do a full write up about the process of transferring from the lack to this rack.

cabling is colour coded:
    Purple: Infrastructure. E.g Router connection to the switch, Firewall, WAP etc
    Yellow: IPMI and iLO interfaces
    Blue: Pi Cluster
    Orange: Main Server Lan interfaces 2x on Nas 4x On the HP
    Black: My Workstation

EDIT: the space at the bottom is for a UPS when I am able to pick one up that does what I want and is not a fortune.