1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

good. if you are after a nass that you can expand in a drobo-esque way then defo look at building an unraid box

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

UnRaid is nice, i just cat justify $129 for a license when freeNas does the job for me personally.

3. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I got mine pre-loaded with 11Tb on ebay at the end of last year for $242 shipped. Ebay is the place to get a used drobo. A 48Tb 12 bay auction just completed for $2k. The prices for used Drobos is pretty awesome on ebay. It seems there's always something really good about to end.

But keep Yaka's comments in mind. I haven't had any bad experiences yet, but the point of this thing is to have a redundant storage solution. If the whole thing dies then that's pretty stupid .

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

just google reboot loop. i had paid for extended drobo support. both times the response was buy a new drobo. and its not just me that has that response for them. while work they are great the way you can expand storage is great but drobo will **** you in the end.

i hope you dont suffer same as me ive had 2 differant generations of 8bas drobo nas fail me. if you do ever hppened to have it constantly reboot and drobo support aint got thier **** together still then keep this url bookmarked http://www.techknight.com/blog/2012/10/17/howto-fix-the-drobo-pro-infinite-reboot-loop.html it helped me with my last one

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Just ordered the DX513 bay extension for mine.

Should be up to 22TB by next week.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My Gen8 Microserver "Saturn" is now joined by "Rhea":

[​IMG]

HP XW4600 workstation, which used to be a desktop my parents were using (I've since replaced it with an MSI Cubi-N mini PC). It has two 146GB 3.5" SAS drives and they are the noisiest drives I've heard in a long, long time... How they put up with these drives in the lounge I'll never know.

This model has been tested with the 771 Xeon mod, so I've got a couple of mod stickers and a Xeon X3323 on the way to replace the E6750 it currently runs. It also seems to support ECC memory, so I'll whack in a big chunk of RAM at some point. This will host a development instance of SQL Server, and I might move my Plex Media Server instance across to it if the Xeon works out. The Celeron G1610T in my microserver is a bit stretched by Plex transcoding duties...!

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

[​IMG]

So the other week I finally managed to find a Rack that suited my needs, That wasn't a fortune and included shipping So it was finally time to replace my Lack Rack.

Specs:
    Rack: ENCLOSURE SYSTEMS 262 12U fully enclosed.
    Mikrotik RB-2011
    Watchguard Firebox x750e Running PFsense Currently not active but configured for a transparent Firewall
    Cable Management plate
    Hp 1920 dl-24
    24port Patch panel
    2u Shelf currently holding my 4 unit Pi cluster
    HP DL360G7 running as my ESXi Host
    Supermicro 8x 3.5bay running Freenas (only half of the bays currently populated.

This rack is a wonderful thing, I paid £120 from ebay for it which while not too cheap for including delivery it was very good. I am probably going to replace the glass on the front door for some Mesh to get better airflow, and i will possibly do the same on the back door for the same airflow reasons
    Once the Cluster is configured with a load balancer (going to use HAProxy for this) I will have a blog up and will do a full write up about the process of transferring from the lack to this rack.

cabling is colour coded:
    Purple: Infrastructure. E.g Router connection to the switch, Firewall, WAP etc
    Yellow: IPMI and iLO interfaces
    Blue: Pi Cluster
    Orange: Main Server Lan interfaces 2x on Nas 4x On the HP
    Black: My Workstation

EDIT: the space at the bottom is for a UPS when I am able to pick one up that does what I want and is not a fortune.

8. Votick

Well it's been a few years but... I'm about to take my setup to the next level now finally in my own place.

[​IMG]

Now what to fill it with... ;)

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Just racked a new tray. Yet to populate with disks though...

[​IMG]

NetApp A800. Do it properly. You know what they say: Overkill is always exactly the correct amount of kill.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Cable management! My eyes!

11. Votick

Just ordered a new switch for it.
    Was tempted by Unifi as I already have a stack but wanting to switch.

Kinda wanna swap my DS918+ for a Rackstation too.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Cable management is overrated.

When I very first racked and stacked everything, it looked wonderful all bundled up. Then I come to change one thing and it takes 4 hours of re-cabling.

This is organised chaos. It's easy to chop and change and I know the to-from of each cable.

13. Votick

Ignore all the spare switches.

But it's slowly being filled :dremel:

[​IMG]

Yaka and Byron C like this.
  14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Ain't that always the case: drives are out of warranty by one month, and the first one has started throwing read and write errors and got kicked out the zpool. At least its RAIDZ2. Gotta remember out which device name corresponds to which slot on the front...

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

There's a hole cut in the roof space of my garage.

[​IMG]

It contains a Netgear ReadyNAS, APC UPS, Pi-Hole and a switch.

[​IMG]

It also has a laptop running Plex, which I mainly remote into from my phone using RDP for torrenting and the like.

[​IMG]

It's built around the highly sophisticated concept of keeping the noise away from me, as I hate it. It has shielded cabling running to both the router, and the TV.

Arboreal, Yaka and Byron C like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Z600 workstation as a compute server, an old xeon-modded socket 775 system as storage server, and a frankenstein mess based on an AMD Kabini on top as the router (which was my mother's computer for a while until I bought her an upgrade).

Gonna have to kill the folding@home client on the compute server though, because the little room it lives in gets warm AF...

[​IMG]

Arboreal and Yaka like this.
  17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice, definite 'Garage Roof Envy' from me! I have a flat roof on mine with about a 7ft ceiling. I'd love to powerline out to it and have a NAS there, but as it's uninsulated concrete block, I think the temperature highs and low wouldn't be great for the drives.

Just watched Linus upgrade the Hacksmith's Server setup and dread to think how much that waterproof and fireproof NAS costs :eek:

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Not to rub it in, but the previous owner must have been using it as a playroom; it has power and lights, carpet, double glazing including Velux windows, central heating and hot and cold running water.

All I've added is a 32amp feed to run the welder off :hehe:

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice one, grrrrr. BTW what's the first number in your postcode? I'm 6

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

9, I had to move from Charminster to Winton because I'm old now. I'll come join you when I hit 50.