1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Show me your... NAS/Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Votick, 12 Aug 2011.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

HDD pron right there, a lot of data to lose

Right now in my day to day/media/gaming computer I have
    3x2Tb
    1x1Tb
    1X750Gb

then the exact same amount/type of drives I use for backups placed in a fire/waterproof safe in my basement

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm not sure tbh as its the on-board controller. There is a spare SATA connection for the optical drive so if you set the controller to JBOD and use a software solution like freenas you can have 5 disks. As it has the PCIe slots some people are installing a low profile raid controller and squeezing two disks into the optical bay. The build quality is good and its very quiet although the door is a bit plasticky.

At £140 its a bargain as you would struggle to buy a four bay enclosure at that price so you effectively get the PC part of it for free. BTW I replaced the 1GB ECC ram with 4GB of kingston value ram (non ECC) with out a problem. You have to place your order before the 31st of August to claim the cash back but they do seem to keep extending the offer.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The one identikit posted a pic of has 19TB of storage in there, but from what you're saying I am assuming the owner has in fact added a low profile RAID card to get all that connectivity. JBOD would be no good to me, I would want it as a backup for the ever expanding but currently 6TB main array in my file server.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Thank you for pointing these beasties out (+rep). I ordered one last night and got it through this morning. Exactly what I was looking for as our 2 x 1TB western digital mybooks are getting a little too full now we have started ripping our films to networked storage. This should keep us ticking over for a while now.

What OS are you using on there?

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It would depend on the caddy used for the 4x2.5" drives. If it only used a single SATA connection it would be ok as JBOD with a software solution. Have you considered using FreeNAS with ZFS? Hardware RAID will offer higher speeds but ZFS offers better data integrity and your not tied to a hardware controller.

FreeNAS. I have four two terrabyte drives configured in a RAIDZ pool.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Version 8?

I take it the stability is muuuuuuuuuuuch better than the beta then, because I used it at the start of the year and it still needed a LOT of work.

7. Matticus

Matticus ...

I haven't heard great things about this box + FreeNas, but as Bindi says, you are probably on FreeNas 8 right?

How is FreeNas handling the ZFS with 4gb of ram, it seems to go on about having 1gb of ram per tb of space to get the most out of ZFS in the docs. I wonder what sort of speed you are seeing with "only" 4gb of ram.

8. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I'm currently building up a Dually Opteron 250, 4x1GB ECC, Rioworks HDAMA board, LSI 8506-8 SATA controller, and currently 2x160GB drives for testing. Once it's up and working, it'll likely move to a 3U/4U rack (it's in a 2 at the moment), so I can get the full complement of 8 drives in there, not to mention some quieter fans. Even swapping out the stock 80mm screamers, I still have to contend with the hellishly noise CPU coolers.

9. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Man, I wanted to order one for a HTPC, but apparently i can't get one here. The distributors don't carry it. One actually didn't know what was it... The nearest country I can get it from has it for around US$500. :jawdrop:

I can build my own for that price. :wallbash: Sort of.. pci + pcie is a tad hard to find...

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Here they sell it - the lowend, 1GB RAM version - for 315 euros. This small guy is a good offer - in UK. Elsewhere not so much.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2011
  11. Matticus

Matticus ...

I ordered a HP Proliant Microserver, 4gb of ram and 2x2TB F4's.

So who is in need of a DNS-320, or a core2quad, 4gb of ram, zotag board mini itx machine wrapped in an sg05 :D

12. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'll pull my setup out later and get a photo. currently running a Intel E4500 based setup with 3TB HDD's and a 300GB, all running on unraid pro. Works a treat, have the 300gb drive setup with various media managment systems. Housed in a Yeong Yang server case with a few tasteful mods.

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Not had any issues with it my self so far but I haven't put a huge amount of data onto it yet . I had not intended to use FreeNAS originally so my setup was not designed around it. (see below)

Speed was ok, around 60mb/s a second write with out any configuration if iirc. My main issue is I had not intended to use FreeNAS and already had some of the HDD's which are 4K format. I am waiting for release 8.1 which will have proper support for 4K disks before I put all my data onto it. I will pick up another 4Gb of RAM at the same time. From what I have read I should be able to hit around 90mb/s plus when properly configured. I'm using mine for file serving so high speed is nice but not essential.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The promised update... I swapped the case as well (the white R3 was free after i moved my desktop to FT03) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, i5-2500K, Coolink Corator DS (+Enermax Cluster 12cm fan), 2x2GB Dominator GT + 4GB Corsair Value RAM, Zotac GT430, KNC1 DVB-C card + CI card reader, Seasonic X-750, Intel X25-M G1 80GB as system drive, 6xWD20EARS, 4xWD10EADS.

15. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Just finished my Server/HTPC :)

Sugo SG05
    AMD Athlon II X2 220
    Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe
    320gb Samsung M7 for boot
    2tb Samsung F4 for storage
    Slim Blu-ray drive

And yes I realise that the blu-ray drive is missing its bezel, that will be remedied soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not quite sure why the psu comes the way it does with the fan facing down so that the cpu and psu battle for air... especially as there are vents on top... so I flipped it and filtered the vents... much better :)

16. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Trance that looks very nice. How power-hungry is it?

17. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Barely anything, probably draws a maximum of 150W at full load... (not that it's ever at full load)
    I'm thinking about changing the front fan and cpu cooler though, they are a little loud for it to be on all the time...
    It's a great little system, plays blu-ray no problem even with just it's onboard gpu. Have been considering putting a sound card in it though, the sound quality isn't the best.

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

Finally got round to being able to set up my MicroServer. Currently got 2x2tb and 2x1.5tb + the 250 in the optical bay for which I bought an adapter from Maplin for £3.99, these can be had for half the price on eBay, but I was in town and couldn't be bothered to wait.

Just going to be installing windows 7 now. I am only after file storage and possibly running apps in the background. For me it was between Ubuntu, Windows Server 2008 R2, WHS 2011 and Win 7. I am going with Win 7 for now but this could change soon. It needs to be completely done within a few days as I don't like only have my data in 2 places :)

19. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Where did you find that pic and are there any more of it together with details of the bits used? I had a poke around in mine last night and can't see any way of getting the hard drive in that area below the optical bay short of tearing the whole thing apart.

Would be great to be able to fit the system drive in there (going to need some creative wiring layouts to manage that) rather than in the optical bay.

20. identikit

identikit Minimodder

It's from this hilariously bloated megathread. I can't even find the post with the correct info anymore :(

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=958208