1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Show Off Your HTPC and/or Server

Discussion in 'General' started by null_x86, 6 Mar 2009.

1. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Heres my server it's a
    1.6Ghz dual-core
    3gb of ram
    mirrored 1.5tb drives
    running gentoo linux without gui

Used for:
    File storage for music/movies/eps
    SMP folding
    MLDonkey for torrent downloads
    uShare for streaming to the xbox360
    MPD for music playback

thinking of dropping in another pair of 1.5tb drives just gotta find some room for them...

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just built home file server, back up and storage 3TB RAID5 machine.

Goodies!

[​IMG]

Motherboard mounted in case.
    [​IMG]

LSI RAID card.
    [​IMG]

Nice tidy build
    [​IMG]

However.... this £15 case has the worst cooling in the world ever! Hard drives were alsmot hot to the touch after 30 minutes!

So... out of retirement comes the venerable PC-71!!

How lost does this mobo look in this case???
    [​IMG]

Ironically... it's too big for a neat build... as the mobo is too far away from the drives to route them behind the board LOL
    [​IMG]

I've spent ages configuring it to have teh best large file write performance I can manage... and with a 3 disk RAID5, that's a hard task. With 4 disks it becomes more realistic, but I've spent enough LOL. Having said that...

[​IMG]

None too shabby.

Read performance has suffered as a result of my choice of stripe size and read ahead optimisation, but still manges more than the network can deliver, so not fussed about that.

Access times have suffered as a result of stripe size, which I've chosen to give the best large files sustained write times. Set to a smaller stripe size with read ahead on adaptive, it drops to around 10ms. As it is however, it's not important to me, as I need fast write transfer speeds of large contiguous files (Norton Ghost back up and transferring large image and video files).

[​IMG]

I never took any screenies of RAID0... and I'm not rebuilding my RAID again to do that, but if anyone is thinking of building a RAID0 config, I can recommend this card. I was seeing around 370MB/sec max, and 295MB/sec min read rates in 0. That 400 is not burst either... that's the max sustained rate. Wasted on a file server over a Gb network though.

In real terms over the network....
    [​IMG]

So pretty much maxing out a gigabit when writing.

So... all in all.. I'm happy.

PC Tools seems to slow down my transfer rates over the network however. Without it, I get around 110MB/sec on large files transfer, but with it, around 90MB/sec.

Once all updates are on, I'll disable internet access to it anyway... so I may remove PC Tools.

[edit]

102 watts at the mains socket with all disks spinning and processor idle (which will be it's normal state 80% of the time). No power figures in uber power saving mode yet, as I've not configured them.

Taken from this thread.

Also got a Thecus NS3200Pro NAS
    [​IMG]

The N2200 on the right is what the server has just replaced.

3. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Hey nice server. is that raid card a single or dual port card. If it were me i would still get another drive but use it has a hot spare.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Single SAS port... which gives 4x SATA channels. Yes, I will add a hot spare when funds allow :) I won't make the 4th one live as a 4 disk array, because I want to keep the server the same size as my NAS back up box. Adding a 4th as a hot swap drive means an auto rebuild should one fail.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Finally set it up again:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45972730@N03/4254990351/
    As it says in the comments, AM2 Sempron (runs impressively cold and very stable), 1gb of generic RAM, some motherboard and an old-ish Samsung 300GB hard drive. It's currently a web proxy (squid), torrent box (transmission) and file share. Soon to be adding on counter strike and QOS when a stable package exists for my arch.
    Runs on the foundation of awesome that is Gentoo.

6. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

That is cool in its own right but I really wouldn't be comfortable leaving components in a cardboard box long term, only takes a fan to fail on the PSU or something and things could heat up giving you a potential fire on your hands! :worried:

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dude, that custom case must have cost you a bomb, i love how you managed the mod it so it looks just like a tatty old cardboard box! lol!

last cardboard box case i saw had an itx machine in it.

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Took ages to make it - lots of CNC machining and whatnot but I'm happy with the understated outcome.

9. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Wish I could afford to have a relatively new computer as my server like a lot of you. My old gaming pc is my server right now and quickly running out of disk space.

Random ugly black case
    ABIT NF-7 S Motherboard.
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(Really need to replace this for lower power usage and heat issues.)
    1GB RAM
    40GB drive for OS.
    250GB Storage Video
    120GB Storage Music

It runs though. It's really only a file server at this point. It does some torrents(Vuze) and some dvd ripping/compression. I plan on eventually replacing this with an ITX box and extra storage.

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

you just replace the mobo/cpu/ram with a low end system if all your doing is file serving. then later chuck in a raid card or hba adapter and have more disk space than you know what to do with :)

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Depends what you're doing on it, the only thing that really uses up processor power at the moment is traffic shaping - and you can run that on a 200MHz machine so it doesn't really use any at all. A fast disk and memory is more important, low seek times are nice.

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

[​IMG]

That's mine. It's basically my flat mate's old setup (E2160/2 GB) where I just slapped all my extra drives. The drive cage is DIY from 6 mm aluminum and 4 mm bitumen, with the slow-running front fan the drives hit about 30 C, CPU has so far (uptime 37 days) maxed at 40 C.

I'm waiting for a delivery on Thecus nas-box, for which I've already bought two terabyte drives for actual data storage.

13. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

[​IMG]

Finally updated/upgraded it..

Dell XPS 420
    Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    2GB DDR2 800
    30GB OCZ Vertex (boot drive)
    2.25 TB (2x 1TB Hitachi, 1x500GB WD Caviar Black)
    Netgear GA311NA
    Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 Enterprise Edition

Runs like a champ on 2GB, going to do a full server upgrade in a few months

14. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

[​IMG]

FreeNAS, Pfsense, main rig, ESXi and so on.. :)

dark_avenger likes this.
  15. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

This.

This wins. Everyone else can go skulk away in shame.

16. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Hehe.. :p
    I will update it shortly, I'm going to mount a door on the front and side of it, and also there is going to be a (little old) laptop mounted on the inside of the front door... you'll understand when you see it

17. gar

gar Minimodder

I am building into on of these cases, but I can't get the brass mountings into the standoffs. Did you modify yours at all?

18. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Nice setup, keep us informed on progress!

19. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

Something I've built 6 months ago:

[​IMG]

is now used as home cinema:

[​IMG]

For more info click on the link in my sig :thumb: