1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple "Showtime"

Discussion in 'Software' started by seebul, 12 Sep 2006.

1. seebul

seebul Minimodder

So apples big event is tonight and they are supposed to be launching a new movie download service + a new video ipod :D Engadget are covering it live.
    So what do u guys think will be announced?

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A product that actually works, would be nice.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

blah blah.

16:9 ipod i guess. nano update? i want more than 4gb!

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

It's a foregone conclusion. Video iPod with 16:9 screen and virtual scroll wheel, movies added to itunes movie store, i'd bet on a low res iPod friendly option somewhere around 10 bucks, and a higher resolution option for viewing on your tv for a bit more. Maybe some kind of new apple TV hardware of some kind, but that's really being pulled out of my ass.

If you want to get updates as they happen there is an AJAX feed here. The event will start in about an hour.

AH

Edit: I'm on board with the nano update, get the feeling something's gonna happen there. This might be absolute rubbish, but I kinda wonder if they might restyle it with a brushed look to be more like the mini? hmmmm

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I was being serious. Apple used to be good at making reliable hardware, the number of problems I've read about with macbooks and had with Ipods mean my opinion of Apples hardware reliability is maybe on par with some pretty low companies. A piece of hardware that worked well would be a good release for them.

6. seebul

seebul Minimodder

All companies have teething problems with new product realese's dont they?? And to be fair to Apple most of the problems with the macbook/pro were sorted out quite quickly.
    I do agree about the Ipod though:/ I have had three ipods (20GB,4GBmini,30GBphoto) and everyone of them has died on me, and i do take care of them they just seem to stop working for no reason at all!?

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Right, but, this isn't the thread for that really, is it? ;)

8. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Disagree completely. You've had "problems" with iPods? Well yes, so have I. There's a reason - they have a huge market share and sell a huge number. Sometimes when there's large amounts of product going out defects start creeping in. The important thing is that Apple have dealt with these problems fairly and quickly. In fact, I haven't purchased an iPod since the 3G because twice I've had problems and been upgraded to the newer model. So, to be honest, kinda hoping my 5G goes wrong in the next couple of months before the warranty runs out! Secondly, "reading about" problems with macbooks. Sigh. You would have thought people would realise by now that "widespread" problems on the internet are 9 times out of 10 very small scale problems reported loudly by a vocal minority. I've owned loads of different Apple products. I've had problems on odd occasions, and those problems have been fixed. So, like any other manufacturer then. Apple just get slammed all the time because people want to find reasons to dislike them.

AH

P.S. Must... stop... waffling...

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

People who buy Apple stuff are just a lot more vocal when stuff breaks. I didn't give it a second thought when my thinkpad crashed last night, just because I'm so used to Windows gear being generally crap.

I just hope this finishes before I have to go back to class.

10. seebul

seebul Minimodder

New nanos in 5 different colours 2GB, 4GB, 6GB :naughty:

And a new shuffle.

11. seebul

seebul Minimodder

itunes movie store for U.S. but not for U.K.:(

Plus a wireless apple set-top box to be realesed in Q1 of 2007 :jawdrop:

Last edited: 12 Sep 2006
  12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Apple's website has been updated, the new nano looks just like a skinnier mini. Itunes 7 is also available to download, not that I'll be getting it...

13. RTT

RTT #parp

8GB ;)

14. Firehed

Even better. Colored nanos for the win. Even our resident ftvv hater has to agree :)
    Bit of a shame the black one is macbook style with it only being on the most expensive one (even stranger that you can't get colored in 8gb).

Apple's site is getting totally raped right now though... so I'm going to have to wait before trying out iTunes7 and that new iPod firmware (hopefully iPodWizard stays on top of things... I need my customized skinnage!)

Actually, those new shuffles are pretty cool too. And the prospect of the iTV set top box sounds awesome.

8GB nano and 30GB 5.5G(????) both for $250? Hmm...odd move there.

15. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Did you see the new Shuffle? Damn that one is small reminds me on those clips to put your laundry up! And i dont like the new Nanos Just like a Bulemic Mini!

16. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Why couldnt they keep the nano design the same and just change the colour?? Why the hell did they have to go and change the shape? Just looks stupid to be honest.:(

17. RTT

RTT #parp

iTunes 7 is a really, really good improvement.

18. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Has anyone checked the gay upgrades for the 5G Vid Ipods?

Have apple lost their minds or are they so conficent that their stuff sells? i mean longer battery and brighter screen with new and Exciting games! will NOT intice me to part with a better part of £200 for another ipod which has little or NO new and usefull features.

Iam extremely interested in the shuffle, that thing is downright cool. and the Nano looks like my old mini....

19. Firehed

I've gotta agree. Seems to be a bit laggy to start off when it's catalogging the album arts and everything, but overall is a great idea. I LOVE the separate window for the downloads since I've got way too many podcasts (the entire TWiT network, to start), and thank god I don't have to keep going to amazon for wierd scans of cover arts anymore.
    From a short bit of testing, the video playback seems *much* better. Finally.

atanum - it's to entice new buyers, it's not meant as a reason to upgrade the thing. Unless you're a true AppleWhore(TM).

20. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Might pick up the new nano once they have some sort of discount for students in place. At the moment if you visit it via the education discount page it actually costs 1p more lol

iTunes 7 is nice, but for some reason I can't use it to listen to music whilst playing WoW anymore. I haven't tried it with anything else yet but when I go back to the game the music plays as if its on drugs. Sigh.

Tags: