1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Shure SE110 earphones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Oct 2007.

1. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i recently bought a pair of sennheiser omx70's the only problem ive had is they show how crap mp3s really are :duh:

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

There's also only so much time in the world, when you need to re-shoot some photos, the review has to be in the Editor's inbox in 15 minutes, and your ramen noodles are getting cold :)

3. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem when I came to buying a decent set of headphones, (wearing glasses). When you buy them make sure you can listen to them for a while in the shop, or ideally borrow a set from a mate for a few days and see if they comfortable enough (only really works if your getting full headphones). But for me, the audio technica ath-es7 were about firght, decent padding, doesnt squeese too tight on your head, and more than comfortable for long listening periods (and they sound good as an bonus), but there pricey ($380 nzd, about 200usd, and probably about 150 pounds).

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Lol, time wasn't an issue at all - these photos had to be taken weeks ago before I even started testing the phones so that I didn't get wax all over them. IIRC, the weekend Halo 3 came out I went into the office on a saturday to do the photos with my girlfriend, which is why she's modelling them. Unfortunately, I got swamped with game releases before I could do the writing. Damn orange box.

5. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Nice review. Shure come out with some decent products, even thought they are damn pricey. Shouldn't these be called earpieces rather than earphones?

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Joe, I'm afraid I'm not going to accept you waxing lyrical about Bat Out of Hell if you now admit to us all you haven't bought or even properly listened to the third one yet. So nerr.

7. CardJoe

I listened to your copy though, that has to count for something.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

And in which you admit your total submission to me and my pwnage. Mwahahaha. Well, you would if my internet connection would behave, it varies between 8meg and 1/4meg almost at random, driving me up the wall! Lol. Nice picture of Hannah's ear by the way, I never noticed just how neat it is.

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Along the lines of bass I've always found with this type of earphone that it's paramount to wear them correctly . The slightest incorrect angle can totally ruin the sound. I myself have this issue with my Sennheiser CX300's.

If you were wearing them like that throughout the review (I do apologise if I've not noticed you say other wise) then indeed you may well have had lack lustre sounds.
    I'm no audiophile by any means but it's worth possibly wearing them correctly then trying again.

The other issue is also that of ear canal shape, my father for instance cannot wear this type of earphone as all he gets is top end, his ear canal shape does not allow for a proper seal to be created at all.
    Realistically for reviews like this I think several people should try them out (3-4 should be enough where possible) and give their impressions as its often very much a personal preference thing.

Anyway, I'll stop speaking my mind now.

10. CardJoe

Well, I did wear the earphones like that throughout the review, but if I still have them in the office today then I'll give them a try as you suggest and report any differences. :thumb:

Several people did actually try them - myself, Riyad Emeran the editor from TrustedReviews (who also did his own review) and Ed Chester also from Trusted Reviews. Riyad is a big audiophile himself and Ed is the same as well as being in a band. I listened to their views and they help me appreciate some things, but ultimately I have to come back to my own feelings.

11. CardJoe

Just tried them and, tbh, while they were a little more comfortable, the difference sound-wise wasn't that great and I just had cables bouncing about on top of my ears instead.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It annoys the hell outta me that these days it's virtually impossible to pick up a decent pair standard earbuds (as opposed to anything that goes into the ear). It's as if the stupid consumerbase for years was totaly oblivious of this practise of sticking things in your ears to get better sound, and now that they are they don't want anything else. Makes getting earbuds where you can still hear your surroundings incredibly hard, unless you want £2.99 ones from tescos. Bah :(

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

The bass issue probably comes from Shure trying to cater their IEM market to a wide consumer-base. The biggest issue with IEMs is their strongest quality -- they are extremely flat throughout the entire frequency range, giving the most accurate reproduction possible. This is great for their original intended use of being onstage monitors, but isn't warming to music played through the everyday portable device; which is where in-ear phones are really flooding the market. Shure undoubtedly tried to replicate the sound of a normal headphone or much more expensive set of cans by ramping up the bass in the drivers, leading to the forced sound.

All in all, though, it's great to see them introducing some entry-level stuff. I stand heartily by my E3's, and it's great to start introducing more people to the higher end of audio equipment.

Tags: Add Tags