1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Shut Down problems on H55 (s1156) PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arboreal, 29 Dec 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just rebuilding an old PC I picked up a few weeks ago and windows 7 is running fine on an SSD.
    It will restart out of the bios, click off and boot fine.
    On shutdown the screen goes blank and all the lights go off, but the CPU fan won't stop however long it's left for.
    A 4sec push of the power button stops it fine.
    What is amiss? It was fine when I bought it and has started behaving like that all of a sudden.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

First guess would be that it's going into S1 sleep state and not shutting down, in control panel > power options > choose what the power button does > is power down selected or sleep for the power button settings option.

3. Arboreal

Thanks Corky, just reseating the CPU as I noticed the (lovely Intel) cooler wasn't locked down on one corner.
    I'll look at the sleep settings and see why it's playing up.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

If you've got three of the four down, the chances are that you didn't have a thermal issue. :)

5. Arboreal

Thanks guys, all resolved after letting it sit and going through logically.
    It did do a thermal shutdown as the fan on eth heatsink stopped for a while; no damage and the CPU is now reseated, TIM'd and the cooled refitted fine.
    It still played up, so I flashed the BIOS to F4 from F2, and Lo and Behold all is well.
    Looks like a corrupted BIOS, probably from some unguided OC experiments. I'll have to rad up on i3 540 and H55 OC again!
    Happy New Year and a PC that I can now reload and use at home.
    Thank you once again, ATB for 2018!