1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle SD11G5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Nov 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The amount of times I've wished shuttle would make an external passive PSU for normal shuttles....

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

totally, that thing is a godsend :D

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Wouldnt be hard to do either. Just have a plate to screw into the PSU cutout with the cable socket / some circuitry (maybe) on that passes through to the ATX socket...

5. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Glad you gave it a good review. I like the idea of an external PSU, and it makes you wonder why the first generation of SFFs didn't come with one. The only sound you'd worry about is that of the GPU fan, and the seeking of the HDD.

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

well i have really only a few things to say,

1) i dont really agree that the shuttle internal powersupply kicks alot of heat inside the computer, from my experience the 2 fan design is really quite nice, it pulls air inside the powersupply from the inside of the computer, then blows the air out the back of the powersupply, to outisde the case, and since the ice cooler blows air equally outside none of that heat seems to make it back inside the computer

2) im really really still surprised by shuttle in the fact that they still keep that silly honeycomb ice cooler fan grill, i mean literally and i will not exaggerate when i cut my grill out, completely with my dremel, and added a standard fan grilll to the back, and later another fan for the push-pull ice cooler fan setup i noticed a 80% drop in noise, and any owner of the prescott series of intel proccessors knows those are really hot proccessors and to be able to make a near silent computer with one inside, is a feat of its own, w/o any drastic water cooling, (see my sig with a link to the cut out of the honeycomb)

3) i was dissapointed equally in my shuttle not to long ago when it came with only 1 sata cable... im so glad i bought from newegg which takes pictures of everything, including the contents of the box, so i noticed the missing cable before i made my final purchase, it wasent so bad, but the extra cable cost me 7 USD which is kinda silly imo becuase ive never had to buy a cable of just about any sort before..., however to give shuttle some credit, they did give a pre-routed roundedish ide cable to connect to the optical drive that is neatly plugged out of the way right into the motherboard, and they did include 2 additional ide cables, a double and a single head, and a floppy ribbon

all in all, shuttle still seems to be doing what it has recently, personally ive never been a fan of the external psu, doubt i ever will be, not after spending my entire life trying to build more things inside the computer, (wireless keyboard and mouse recievers, lcd's etc....), however this shuttle is a step in the right direction, this pentium-m machine is definitly good for an htpc or other such pc, im not so sure for extreme gaming, but who knows

7. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

4) It's white. Oh, Shuttle Shuttle Shuttle, what were you thinking?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because it didnt exist. External PSUs of that power havent really been manufactured for long.

After using.. 7 XPCs now i cant disagree more than the internal PSUs add to the heat inside the case. If you take out the small PSU and use a standard ATX outside the case you notice a large drop in case temps. I see your point that it adds more outside, but the brick is a nice foot warmer and you've got to have a power cable anyway.

9. careyd

careyd What's a Dremel?

Just curious...why not test it with a single slot 7800GTX, perhaps even an OC one like the XFX?

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

They don't drop off trees, unfortunately.

11. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

perhaps we should try bury one 7800GTX and see if a tree appears?

(the one that buries his 7800GTX needs to give the location to me of course;))

12. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

We could "fertilise" it by shredding a copy of the DOOM movie and watering it in :D

13. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

Awesome Article!
    The only thing I would ask for is a page dedicated to only media.
    That would rock.
    :thumb:

14. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Do you mean a 1 page photo gallery?

15. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

Ya.
    Like a page dedicated to just beauty shots of the overall system, much like yall do when doing a article on a member made mod.
    I know such a process would take more time, but IMO it would be worth it.
    However you look at it, keep up the great job. I love reading yall’s system reviews.
    :thumb:

16. TMM

TMM Modder

Nice article. One thing had me scratching my head for a while though.. until i worked it out :idea:.

(?)Some/(?)all graphs that have times (e.g. minutes, seconds) don't work out properly. e.g. 3minutes, 59seconds should very close to 4minutes.

i.e.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/shuttle_sd11g5/mp3-encode.png

the bar is showing 3.59 where it should be more like 3.98 (59sec/60sec = .98)

just thought i'd mention it :D

*goes back to drooling over shuttle*

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh yea, good point. It's in 100s not 60s. We'll have to change it to just seconds.

18. koola

koola Minimodder

Bah, I would save up a little more and get a Apple iMac G5 :D

Much better than a shuttle lol

Tags: Add Tags