1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle ST20G5 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Jul 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Want one.

£260 might be a little expensive tho...

3. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

I'm really considering one of those... little strapped for money right now though

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think this case has some modding potential too... :)

5. Looks like this lil baby's gonna feature in my next build! Great review, thanks BT!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

See what i was saying though in your SFF thread, Chris?

If i had the cash id love to mod it with some paint job or something, but there has been loads of G style mods done already mind.

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

did you have the problems hardocp had, they gave the impresion this was a seriusly flaky product with stablility issues?

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzgx

or have they fixed the drivers? it almost appears you were reviwing a seperate shuttle.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Read the conclusion... it doesn't come without its shortfalls, and I have discussed the HardOCP article with Rich before this one was published. Our last sentence is probably the most important sentence of the whole review.

9. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Woah well nice :D
    Should get some more reviews soon too, Shepps has just picked one up :D
    Bodes well for the upcoming ATI xpress based desktop boards too, the teething troubles with the soutthbridge seem to be sorted thanks to the ALI implementation :)
    The multi monitor support is a very nice touch too, should allow for a movie to be watched at the same time as playing a game with little performance hit. The integrated graphics don't seem to hurt system performance much either which is great to see :D

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The only "problem" with the southbridge is that you have to have a floppy to install SATA drivers on win install, big deal. Once youve done that it's strawberrys and waffles.
    Installing an NVIDIA card into an ATI IGP after youve been using the IGP gives you an error (naturally! both drivers try to use the same space) but upon reboot we had no problems.
    The EQS techs (who made the ATi board with ATi southbridge) highlighted some concerns about a mixed chipset - ati and uli, because in theory it can lead to more stability issues but we never had a problem once the drivers were installed.

Like every PC you ever use, youve got to get used to it and know how to use it - hell it takes me just as long to bench every damn board as it does to work out how to use the damn thing properly!

11. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Mine should arrive on thursday :D Getting an athlon 64 3700+ san diego too. Hopefully this shuttle wont give me as many problems as my SN85G4 v1 does! Im hoping the dual display is going to work as i want it to, so i can game + watch a movie at the time.

We shall see in a couple of days hopefully!

12. logan

logan flashback!

Looking nice - i'm considering going down the sff route.

Shepps - where did you order yours?

13. Shepps: Cool! I'm gonna get one with a 3700 sandy too, can't wait!

Logan: You can get them from aria.co.uk and icubes.co.uk IIRC

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Umm, I may be all wet here, but perhaps for overclocking performance, you could have picked a different chip? I thought it had been rumored that the best overclockers were really around the venice 3200+ line...? Wouldn't using a 4000+ pretty well hurt your OC anyway?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I can only do what i have to use. Blame AMD for not providing us with anything else :/ The 4000 will do 220, i know that much.

microdirect, ebuyer, etc all those places stock em now.

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hehehe.. :) Sorry Bindi, wasn't meaning to make it into what you had available. You know I understand you only have so much kicking around there! I'm just wondering if that's part of why the OC performance wasn't there as much. On what does the 4000+ do 220?

EDIT: I have a hardware article for you sometime, if you'd be so inclined. Maybe take the most common cores, OC them all to the best they'll do on halfway decent air cooling, and see which one does the best at a few bench tests. For instance, I'm having the hardest time convincing some people that taking a 3200+ to 4000+ speed makes a better overall system than the 4000+ alone due to memory increases and such. It'll also let us know really what the best performers are, if they can all be compared in one article.

17. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It's OT, but there's no doubting the theory that 3200+ @ 4000+ would do better than a stock 4000+, but just how many FPS that translates to, who knows. Well, ok, you're asking us to find out :D

But I don't think anyone who knows about such things would argue with you - do you want to post their counter-arguments in a new thread somewhere?

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Pope, these are people I deal with outside of these forums. I would hope the bit-techers would know better! :) It would just be nice to see a definitive OC article showing a few of the different cores of each of the P4 and AMD, and see what they could get up to on a decent clock. I know part of it is luck of draw, but there's some fairly stable OC numbers for some of these chips...since BT is a site I can safely use as reliable information when I qoute, it would be a great place to see this type of article. I figure it would be a good first act from the "Keep Bindi Busy" coalition. ;)

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think the processor has anything to do with the overclocking performance... if you lower the multiplier, you should be able to clock the chip farther than a 3200+ on the same multiplier.

I think it is related to the lack of HTT adjustment - it doesn't seem very stable above 1000MHz HTT.

20. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

ocuk :worried: *taps feet waiting*

Tags: Add Tags