1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Shuttle XPC - 3rd HD Brackets and USB Sata Controller Mounting *Update*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 29 Sep 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

Okay, So When I added a 3rd hd to my shuttle XPC I decided just to take the optical out, havent missed it since, though I was looking to some day trying to add a slimline optical drive, preferably a slotload. So when I was building the new HD mounts for my shuttle I had to take that into effect.

First I started off with some metal stripping, not sure what the stuff is called, but I know it is used in construction to hold ventilation pipes in place. Its really bendable and super easy to work with, great for this sort of thing.

I bent it into a |------| shape to hold the drive up off the bottom of the 5 1/4 bay, and high enough to allow a slimeline to one day mount below it.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mostly shows how I built the brackets. and how I bent the edges to give them added strength.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here we start to see one of the brackets in the 5 1/4 bay

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mockup shots of the hd resting on the two brackets

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shots of the HD and brackets from the front, showing the ample room I have to mount a slimline optical

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The HD finally mounted to the brackets and another mockup shot of it mounted in place with holes drilled on the sides to keep it from going anywhere, mounted with 8 screws total, 4 on the drive and 1 on each leg of the brackets.

Now for the interesting part, This is where I link up another project that I was working on with this one, I was working on modding this usb sata controller I have and now you will finally get to see why I did the crazy things I did to it. Also how pretty it looks when its finally in its spot.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mockup of where it will end up, and the white part behind the pcb is to seperate the contacts from the metal of the shuttle case, it is a cut-up old insurance card.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Got the controller mounted with some zip ties through the new holes I drilled in the shuttle chasis, and My not so excellent wiring job from the hd, I will making that look better later

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pics showing the fully connected controller, and the connection to the motherboard on the other side of the case

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Completely mounted and connected, and then my shuttle all buttoned up to get back to its duties!

Related Threads:
    -Sata USB Controller Mods

So what do you guys think? horrible mod? good mod? I would love to hear anything anyone has to say! Thanks for reading and taking the time to look at my mod.

Last edited: 26 May 2012
  2. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I have to ask, what are you?

This is like your 100th mini mod in about 5 days...

3. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

he is addicted, :dremel: ... BTW i think that metal stuff is called flashing... and you did a hell of a job bending it, im just wondering what the other people in your dorm think by now... and good job on the wire routeing as always... :D :rock:

4. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

damnit delorean5000, you always say what i plan to say about his silly mods before i get to see it. :(

goodjob though, nice bendyness :dremel:

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

So I decided to finish up this mod by adding the HD led lead from the sata controller to the hd led on the front of my shuttle, after all my other two drives get to have one, why not let my 3rd drive share it.

First of all, I had to remove the pins from the front panel connector to the shuttles' motherboard and add into the connector an additional wire on the same pins used for the the HD led. This proved more time consuming and troublesome that I had forseen, but eventually got done. Ran into the snag where the pin didnt want to go back in the header because it had two wires and was a little big, but nothing a little time and force didnt fix.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Showing the header on the board, and the wire I intended to add

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Wires all added, Can you see it, just barely! it blends well. The other pic is the routing to the other side where the sata board is kept

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shot showing the HD lead all hooked up to the header I made on the sata board. And then an action shot of the LED while copying a file on the drive.

So what do you guys think? good completed mod? good integration? Does he have too much time on his hands?

6. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool What's a Dremel?

you should do something bigger, like um, make that ammo box pc you wanted to do.

pwn though, i need to get my server working again, or rather i need new components for it so it'll be worth working on.