1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Shuttle XPC stock cooling mod

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Warrior_Rocker, 26 Jun 2005.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

Hi, ran across this forum not that long ago, and have seen some pretty impressive setups, mine may not be as impressive, however i have a really hot proccessor, the Intel Pentium 4 3.0E prescott, prescotts are some very hot proccessors, and should not be used w/o some additional cooling options in the shuttle, from first glance i can see that the stock shuttle fan grill on the back not only restricts air flow, but it also creates alot of noise, not cool, so i decided i would just simply cut away the old one, and attach a classic 80mm fan grill

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After doing my 'Shuttle XPC stock fan grill mod' i decided that since the shuttle xpc's ice cooling system has a hole down at the bottom where the ice pipes enter the fin unit, that leaves for alot of air to escape out of there, and back into the shuttle, leaving the same warm air to travel back into the cooling system, and then get blown back over the ice unit. so what i needed to do was create negative air flow for the cooler, i did this by placing the exact same fan i used on the inside for the outside, since i had already ditched the noisy shuttle stock fan, this was easier than some would think.

Another mod i did at the same time, was to add a fan control nob, as im always short of cash, i just stole the volume control off a old worn out sound system i had laying around, mounted that to a pci slot cover, directly wired into the 12v rail comming off the power supply, and then also tying the sensor pins for both the cpu fan and the external fan, something that a standard fan controller generally does not do, is give the sensor wire back to the motherboard, i did this becuase although the 'smart fan' that the shuttle provides is good, it dosent see much action in higher end more hot computers, and sometimes its nice to control fan speeds on demand, also the point is that the mod is discrete

Pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 May 2012
  2. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

ROAR.. hey travis..
    Mod looks good. I think im going to do it to mine now. :rock: How'd you make youre fan controller... You said you used an old pot or what? err i see you kinda told how you did it after i accually read youre post. But uhh got any pictures of the controller part?

3. Warrior_Rocker

Yea, the fan controller is actually quite simple, its as if you were to hook up a bunch of fans to a 12v inline connector, except you put a pot (potentiometer) in the circuit, the interesting thing about this is like alot of mods, it cost me nothing but time, and it allows control of 4 fans at the same time, and for the 2 proccessor fans it allows me to still hook up the sensor wire so that i can monitor speeds, from mbm, as well as temperatures and whatnot

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Apr 2009
  4. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 New Member

Hey, I gave you some heat shrink learn to use it... I told you no more tape on youre electrical projects :D

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

one tip get rid of the horibly restrictive bio hazzered grill!

6. Warrior_Rocker

heh... actually since i operate the fans at such low speeds its just fine right now..., trust me i wouldnt intentionally do anything to increase air resistance right now, i ran it w/ and w/o it, and it hasent made a difference, and i really dont like the way the plain 80mm fan grills look on the back of my shuttle

7. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

iv'e seen many that did that kind of mod. one used 2 delta extreme scream to gain extreme overclocking alibity.

8. Twitch125

Twitch125 Shuttle XPC Owner

Hey... I've got a Shuttle with the same processor and case (but black with bigger side vents) and it runs extremely hot... Thanks for posting this I'm thinking about doing it... If you come up with anything else for your shuttle please let me know... Mines getting old and I'm trying to keep it alive as long as possible...

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I would recommend trawling the Sudhian forums, there are loads and loads of Shuttle mods in great detail over there.

10. AndrewHod

AndrewHod New Member

+1 fan

Got many computer bits for free; including parts for Shuttle XPC. Fitted its hot-pipes & fan @ back of computer. Should it also have 1 on Athlon µpu? (Normal fins & fan on µpu would mean removing CD drive as small case used.) Over-heating so changed 1800+ Athlon (@1529521KHz) for 1 @ 800MHz & running it @ the slowest speed possible of 900MHz (FSB 100 × 9). Running OK & gets only up to 41°C in BIOS. Now I’ve re-fitted 1800+ Athlon &+1 fan from full sized power supply to back; as = larger than the 1 inside, it = held b 1 screw @1 top corner, & metal shaped like so ¬_ @2 levels, to screw holding I/O back-plate. Passed its wire through hole already there, to spare HDD/CDD power socket & made bare wires firm + small nails, to 12 volt & earth. See how hot it gets, & maybe try using 5 volts if = OK?

Tags: