1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Signal converter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Alekoy, 9 Jun 2004.

1. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I need a signal transformer
    Input;
    -50mV - 50mV
    OR
    -100mV - 100mV

And then the output
    4-20mA

the circuit has to balance so that
    -50/-100mV = 4mA
    0mV = 12mA
    50/100mV = 20mA

If Anyone knows where to get one, link it, or if anyone knows how to make it, please make me a schem.

The whole lot is to be used as a curent measuring device for 24V DC, so if anyone knows of a unit that you put -100 to +100 Amps of DC thru it, and it sends out 4-20mA it can also be used...

Thanks for the help.. :thumb:

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

A transformer won't work for DC, the way they work they will only work with AC, you can use a shunt, a high wattage, low resistance resistor, or possibly some more advanced Hall effect meters. I wouldn't even try to make my own Hall effect meter though, they are hard enough to just buy the meter as a whole, le alone make your own. If you can find a say, .01 Ohm resistor with a tolerance >.5%, you could measure the voltage across the resistor, .01V per amp, so at 100A you would get a 1v difference. The problem would be finding the shunt though.

Oh and for units, you just want A, not mV, mV is millivolts, 1/1000 of a volt.

3. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I dont need it anymore, I found another instrument that have a 50mV input :D

Anyways, a normal DC-shunt (resistor) outputs mV ex.;
    100A/50mV
    50A/65mV
    100A/100mv

and the instrument i had was designed for the industrial standard, 4-20mA.

The inwtrument I had, and the instrument i bought are these; http://store.datel.com/cgi-bin/datel.storefront/EN/Catalog/1013

I also ordered a blue version :thumb:

oh, and "doomy" i know, sorry for using wrong word to explane, I shoud have wrote "signal converter" just my brain using the wrong translation for "omformer" (Norwegian)