1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Silence my SCSI for me.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Wilier, 25 Feb 2005.

1. Wilier

Wilier What's a Dremel?

Im planning on building a kind of home-server for want of a better word, basically it will be a very simple machine, BUT will have 6 36gb ULTRA160 SCSI 10 and 15000rpm HDD's fitted.

I want to build a machine that is as quiet as possible so it can run in our study 24/7 and not annoy Mrs Wil with a constant humming.

The heart of the matter will be trying to isolate the vibration from the SCSI drives. These are all newish so theres non of the really old stuff, but they spin fast and run hot, so Im looking for a nifty drive cage with some nice quiet cooling.

The case is nothing special, a cheap steel thing, but its plenty hackable and I have the tools required to chop it into whatever is required.

Suggestions for a drive cage-cum-holder thing would be appreciated.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

you could try suspending them with rubber bands, and isolating them in a box with some noise deadening material, but those drives will be quite difficult to silence seeing as youre going to need some airflow as well

being U160 drives, they wont be particularly newish, as U320 replaced the U160 interface quite some time ago

i had one of the last U160 10k drives before the U320 replaced them, it was coniderably louder than the 15K drive i have today, and the U160 15ks were louder still

3. Wilier

Wilier What's a Dremel?

Hang on then, they may well be 320's? Theyre the 80pin hotswap jobbies.....Compaq (or HP, whatever) :wallbash:

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

could be either 160 or 320

What makes and models are each of them? There are a few U160 IBMs that are notoriously noisy

5. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

Last edited: 25 Feb 2005