1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SilverStone Announces Hybrid SSD-Hard Disk Device

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Feb 2010.

1. alpha0ne23

alpha0ne23 New Member

If these things work as well as promised then who do I give my $ to until SSD prices lower by 70%

2. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Regarding the confusion as to whether software is required or not, SilverStone says, 'The HDDBOOST is a unique hardware-based bridge between HDD and SSD to M/B. There's no need to install any driver or software, and the device will synchronzise data automatically, our HDDBOOST utility software is only used for firmware upgrades and to manually synchronise data.'

Anyone who guessed this answer, gets a gold star! :D

3. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Well-Known Member

Manually synchronise data means to me select what apps stay in the cache. I'm sold on this device now.

4. dec

dec [blank space]

interesting. as long as it sells for a small enough price it would tempt me to get an SSD. I agree with Obiwan that a HDD with a SSD should be faster and cheaper than this but I think this (if it becomes popular) will make HDD manufacturers look at such an idea. As long as it does better than Hydra did ill take one.

In theory could you RAID (striping # here) these things?

5. Azayles

Azayles Member

Not a bad idea! But you just know something like that will be released a week after you've thrown out all your old memory sticks D;

6. Davey

Davey New Member

now what SSD is the fastest of all? according to my books it's the OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex Series SATA II Solid State Drive (Black) OCZSSD2-1VTX120G

Available in 30GB, 60GB, 120GB, 250GB capacities
    Read: Up to 250 MB/s Write: Up to 180MB/s Sustained Write: Up to 100MB/s
    Shock Resistant 1500G / Low Power Consumption: 2W in operation, .5W in stand by
    64MB Onboard Cache / RAID Support
    MTBF 1.5 million hours /2 year warranty

7. Picky88

Picky88 New Member

Interesting idea. Does it appear to the OS as a hdd or ssd? as the ssd part will need TRIM and the hdd will need defragging, but the OS sees it as a single drive so cannot perform both of these things on the "same" drive. So performance of both drives will degrade over time right?

8. Leedstights

Leedstights New Member

I think theres a massive 'window' of opportunity here, I can't help but think that Western Digital will be the ones to fill that 'window'. As mentioned, in real world terms SSD are just far too expensive. I can't help but wonder why Seagate didn't release a 3.5 version of their hybrid Momentus drives, though am sure they have good reason. I personally predict Western Digital will do their homework and in the not too distant future release something suitable and better for the desktop market.

Tags: Add Tags