1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SilverStone debuts Thunderbolt external graphics card case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 6 Jun 2013.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

We'll have to wait & see, :D should make for some fun tests for tech journalists when these come to market. :)

Pretty exciting progress though. :)

2. fluxtatic

fluxtatic New Member

Like anything, though, it's a compromise. Sure, you could get a gaming laptop that will be huge, heavy, and have a battery life of what, 2-3 hours? Or get a smaller, lighter laptop with decent battery life that you can plug into this.

I'm not saying one or the other is 'right', just that it's very much an individual decision as to whether something like this makes sense. I see it being fairly niche, as this won't come cheap - enclosure with a PSU and TB is going to be a little spendy, and that's before you get to the GPU itself. So gamers are a relatively niche market (at least those that are spending on a decent GPU), then laptop gamers are smaller yet. Then those that will have the money and desire to get a setup like this? A fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

If this was cheap enough I'd love to pick one up. I could completely remove my need to keep my PC running and I'd use my macbook for everything. At the moment the 650m is simply no match for the 285 I have in the old PC. How cool would it be to remove my GPU from the PC and run it like this.

I bet it's at least £300 when it comes out though.

4. richms

richms New Member

Cant see to much use in that form factor, but make it something that can mount behind a monitor or becomes a monitor stand and that would be great.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm a bit late to the party here but:

Er, no. PCIe 2.0 is about 10 gigabits (8 after encoding) per lane. Graphics cards are generlaly 16-lane PCIe devices. This device would provide a graphics card with one-eighth the amount of bandwidth it'd have access to when plugged into a motherboard.

I suspect that would make some sort of difference, particularly if you ran the GPU out of its onboard RAM and needed to page it back and forth to main memory.

Thunderbolt is widely being taken as a panacea, and it really isn't. We still need proper internal PCIe buses, and the design of the new Mac Pro is silly.

6. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod New Member

I'm kind of wondering why nobody caught this, but for PCI-E it's GBytes not Gbits (byte is 8 bits)

Thunderbolt is indeed 10Gb/s per channel. It has 20 total channels
    10Gb=1.5GB so 30GB/s bus speed

PCI-E 2.0 is 8GB/s per channel
    at 16x this is 128GB/s bus speed

PCI-E 3.0 is 15GB/s per channel
    at 16x this is 240GB/s bus speed

Regardless of this... I very much doubt that any graphics card can reach these bus speeds anyway. If anyone knows what % of the bus a high-end GPU actually uses, I'd be very interested. But I doubt very much that many of them even use half of what PCI-E 2.0 gives.

Tags: Add Tags