1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone FT02R-W Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 Aug 2010.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

agreed the red isnt for me, although would quite like to have one with an nvidia SLI system inside. just for a laugh.

2. runadumb

runadumb New Member

Bought one last week for my new i7 build. I can hear my harddisks again :) Getting time for an SSD I think.

Oh this case is massive by the way

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

simply a fantastic piece of engineering. love the combination of air penetrator + short case for thorough cooling.

going to wait for normal edition, hopefully without window, and no inside paintjob -> £120 mark. or USB 3 edition, even willing to pay for £150 for it!

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Water cooling is not an option, the space between the fans and the rad DO NOT allow for decent air flow through the radiator. I had the RV02 with Triple Rad and my temps were not that desirable and the internal temps sucked, not enough exhaust to compensate for all that intake. I nearly cut my temps in half when I switched to my open air test bed. Still this is a gorgeous case and for air cooled systems should do very well, water cooled I would suggest something else.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The FT02 is quite likely my favorite of all the cases I've reviewed. And that with even better cooling... Is it wrong to get excited of a case? :I

Still, I prefer the FT01 for my personal use due to its much smaller size. It also fits ANY graphic card with the upper HDD-cage removed.

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

http://www.materiel.net/search.html?search=ft02

I love this website. Prices are a bit high, but they have the good stuff.

I wonder if all the models have the same kind of penetrator fans....they do have the same price.
    I like the all-black version, and I wonder if there an "opaque" window. I guess I should mod one !

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement here. A case will far outlive any component you have. I invested in an Corsair Obsidian, and I'm in love with it. I don't think I'll be changing it any time soon.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

It's gorgeous, unique and well designed. I'd love one of these. I'm not sure about the red, but it doesn't look bad in my opinion, especially as it's only the interior.

I've looked at Silverstone's similar cases before, and concluded there would be issues with my hardware. At the moment I have a Fenrir on and AMD CPU, so the fan is below, blowing air up and out of the top exhausts on my case. With the motherboard rotated as with the FT02/Raven design, it would be exhausting hot air in the direction of the PSU, not out of the top of the case. I suppose it could be solved easily enough by finding some way to mount the fan on the side of the Fenrir...

Anyway, going off topic. It's great to see Silverstone developing this line of products. I think some case designers <cough>I mean you, Antec!<cough> could learn a lot from the art/design team that dreamed this beauty up.

9. roybean

roybean New Member

These fans are specifically designed as intakes.
    Anyway, the exhaust on a FT01 is a 120mm - don't know if the penetrators come in that size.
    I was thinking about replacing the two 180mm intake fans on my FT01 with these fans but don't know how loud they are. Any opinions on noise levels compared with Silverstone's standard 180mm fans?

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I stand corrected, the 180mm roof fan on the FT01 is an intake, not an exhaust. My bad.

11. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

Remember kids - dont put it on the floor it you have carpet - it will cover up the intake vents & flat chest dust bunnies will start multiplying underneath which makes the whole case layout pointless if air cant be drawn in from the bottom.

if you have to have it on a carpet then stick something underneath the front of the case so it sits at an angle angle so the intakes arent obstructed.

or just get a wooden plank the size of your pc n put your pc ontop of it

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Lockon Stratos - This case is spaced off the floor by its base, no plank needed.

Would be better if it looked more like this:-
    [​IMG]
    After all, who needs 5 optical drives these days?

13. nicktg

nicktg New Member

The intake vents are located on the side of the case so airflow won`t be a problem when placed on a carpet. Dust could be an issue indeed though (leading to lack of airflow in the long term). I wonder what FT02 owners think of the performance of the filters?

It`s one of my favorite cases at the moment, love the clean looks and internal layout. I prefer the regular version however.

14. okenobi

okenobi New Member

Are you saying it's loud? Can anybody give me a subjective statement about noise?

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

I think he meant the case is extremely quiet, hence he can now hear his hard disks! I can confirm it's extremely quiet at low fan speed, you literally have to put your ear next to the case to hear anything at all.

16. dispie

dispie Member

Great preformance, and idee for cooling

like the front but the rest looks horrible, its nice wen you like red and red hardware but I don't, and repainting it will be hard with red base.

17. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

No hot swap bays, no psu cable shroud, no gpu fan duct, no gpu stabliser, and very little room for water cooling. Seems the features are not as many as i first thought.

18. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

Hmm. I would go even further and remove the hdd-caddies alltogether, chop it and mount the psu in the front Lian Li PC-A05 style and mount the hdd's on perhaps the sidepanels.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

when i first saw this case, i put it straight onto my want list!

With regards to watercooling i don't think having the radiator mounted there is a big problem at all, as thermal convection will sort that problem out.

20. runadumb

runadumb New Member

I did indeed mean that. I'm coming from an Antec P180 which was pretty freaking loud. This case is very quiet and I have 2 fans set to high. It was expensive and kinda an unnecessary upgrade as my last case done the job but i'm very happy I did buy it.

Tags: Add Tags