1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone FT03 build (now turning into post your pics of FT03 builds thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

longweight, sorry! It's the LN27294 item on Scan, or the Akasa AK-CB050. The forums didn't parse the ) at the end of the link.

longweight likes this.
  2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

No worries! Thanks a lot :thumb:

3. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Posted in your thread too, thought it might help someone here so I'll repost here as well.

Last edited: 18 Sep 2011
  4. Huge

Huge aka Dave

In case anyone's considering it I can report that an H-50 definitely does fit into the FT03, very comfortably. Now I can have as much vengeance RAM as I like and overclock the nuts off my CPU without worrying about it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now my CPU is water cooled :) Haven't done the stress testing yet but when idling the temps have from down from a delta T of 10 to 7.5 :)

5. Hutchy

Hutchy What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know what we can expect from the new Titanium version coming out in a couple of weeks?

Worth waiting for since they are the same price?

6. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure it's just a new finish/colour option.

7. Huge

Huge aka Dave

In case anyone is interested there is a thread with a modified FT03 here, he takes it apart and paint some parts, the overall job doesn't really modify the case a huge amount but it makes an interesting read. Good idea for rerouting the power cable too, going to try that out tonight.

Anybody know if it matters which way around you mount the H-50 CPU cooler? I have mine with the writing the right way up but in the above thread he mounts it sideways (as it would be in a normally aligned case). My temps seems fine but I wondered if they'd be better set up as he has?

8. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

15 months after beginning my build it's finally ready.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silverstone ft03
    Asus Maximus IV genez
    Intel 2500k
    2x4gb corsair vengeance 1600 lp lv
    Asus Gtx 560ti directcuII top
    Corsair Hx650
    Corsair H60
    Optiarc slotin dvdrw
    Intel G2 120gb ssd

Now i'm a happy camper...
    :rock::rock::rock:

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
  9. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Very nice.

But they still have not updated the USB3 to the internal header? :miffed:

Want to get one myself but would prefer to have my rear IO USB3 open...

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Get a board with more than two rear USB3?

I'm still tempted to get a H60 or H80 for my FT03 and replace the Frio.

11. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Are the water coolers here pulling air into the case? I know that normally Corsair ones should, but I can't imagine air getting out very easily that way in these cases.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

In an FT03 you'd have to be running it as an exhaust.

13. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

I bought it when it first came out around a year ago, could't say about the newer ones.
    Also bitfenix has a usb 3.0 internal header that's compatible with this case.

Mine is set as exhaust with the corsair working push and the case Silverstone doing pull.

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Some nice kit you got there, congrats on the build.:thumb:

15. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

Thanks.
    Took me a long time to finish it but i'm proud of the result.

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

So... I went to buy an FT03 today, except I didn't because the top/side panels look and feel like something from a cheap patio set.

I am disappoint.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'd agree the top panel isn't exactly the best - it's plastic after all, but what was wrong with the side panels? The finish is nicely done, and rather hard wearing as well.

18. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Oh I meant specifically the plastic side panel, sorry that wasn't put very well. The side panels themselves are things of beauty!

19. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thought I'd share some photos of my new WC loop inside the FT03, and put together a short guide to the simple mods required for anyone else thinking of giving it a go.

I'd been running my FT03 on Air since purchase as a way of putting the components bought for my MacPro mod to some use (my MacPro build progress had come to a halt with all the hardware being left unused).

BEFORE

[​IMG]

SPECS:
    Intel i7 950 (stock)
    ASUS Rampage Gene IV X58
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
    MSI GTX580 TwinFrozrII OC
    1x Samsung F3 1TB HDD
    1x OCZ Vertex 2 Bigfoot 240gb SSD
    Silverstone Strider ST1000 PSU
    3 x Enermax UCCL12 Cluster 120mm Fans
    1 x Noctua 92mm

AFTER

[​IMG]

SPECS:
    Intel i7 2600K (EK Supreme HF Full Nickel)
    ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 REV1
    2x 4GB G-SKILL Ripjaw X 1600mhz
    MSI GTX580 TwinFrozrII OC (EK-FC580 GTX+ Nickel Acetal EN)
    ASUS Xonar D2X
    1x Samsung F3 1TB HDD
    1x OCZ Agility 3 240gb SSD
    Silverstone Strider ST1000 PSU
    2 x Enermax UCCL12 Cluster 120mm Fans
    2 x Noiseblocker Multiframe S-Series M8-S3 80mm Fans
    EK XT120 120mm RAD
    Magicool 160 dual 80mm RAD
    10 x Bitspower BP-CPF-CC5 Silver Shining Compression Fitting (ID 1/2" OD3/4")
    3 x Bitspower G1/4" Thread Rotary 45 Degree Fitting Silver Shining
    1 x Bitspower G1/4" Silver Shining L-Rotary
    Tygon R-3603 ID 1/2" OD3/4" Tubing
    Phobya DC12-220 Pump
    EK Reservoir Combo DCP 2.2
    2 x Phobya LED-Flexlight 30cm

THE MODS

The mods are pretty simple, you'll just need a Dremal with some cutting discs and a drill bit. Start off by gutting the case (if you're not starting from fresh).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, you'll need to mark out where you want to cut for the RAD, I simply put the RAD in place and scribed a line to mark where to cut.

[​IMG]

The orange circles show the mounting of the power socket bracket (I forgot to take a photo), it's important that those threaded holes remain. The purple (yellow in the below image) circle is a rivet that will need drilling out. The Blues lines are used only as a guideline depending on the brand/type of 160mm RAD you may need to cut higher/lower.

[​IMG]

Once you've marked out what needs to be removed and drilled out the rivet, take your case outside and start cutting, as three of the case sides can be removed your provided pretty good access to the cutting area.

[​IMG]

I'm no dremal expert but it got the job done, 5 minutes with a file and that cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]

Next place the RAD in position and ensure the front edge is not sticking out further then your case does.

Time to remove the top right bracket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Four rivets hold the bracket in place (don't worry the case is plenty stable without it) you'll need to drill them out (shown in yellow), the pink circles mark what you'll need to remove in order to fit the 120mm rad, you can put it back on after. For better access to the top two rivets I removed the top IO panel ( four screws and it comes free, shown in green).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst the top IO panel is off it's a good time to root your fan cable (if you choose to go push/pull).

FITTING THE BOTTOM RAD

The Magicool 160 doesn't share the same fan spacing as the mounts on the case, I just used two mounts from each fan with a rubber washer to help with any vibrations (sorry, no photo).

[​IMG]

As I was using 1/2" ID tubing with big compression fittings I knew plumbing the pump/res to the bottom rad would be tight, as a result I decided to fit my 2x80mm fans in a pull config.

[​IMG]

Route the fan cables out the back of the case and reinstall the power adapter bracket. The shape of the bracket allows for the extra length required by the RAD.

FITTING THE MOBO

That's it for mods, the rest is the normal routine, I fitted the CPU block and RAM to the motherboard and secured it inside the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FITTING THE TOP RAD

[​IMG]

I pre-fitted the 'push' fan to the rad allowing me to use the 'pull' fan to secure the RAD in the case. I pre-installed the fittings and used TFC Xvibe Noise Absorbers between the fans and the RAD/Case.

[​IMG]

Fit the rest of your hardware, pump in your loop, leak test and enjoy. My build isn't finished yet, I've sent my side panel away to get a window fitted (note, the side panel doesn't fit after the mods as there is a lip on the panel for the dust filter to click into place, this connects with the bottom RAD stopping the panel from fitting).

Couple YouTube videos are up, both are pretty early in the build process. I'll be uploading more showing temps under load whilst benching and.. well, whatever anyone would like to see.

VIDEO 2 (Leak Testing)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J.

Neogumbercules and Parge like this.
  20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Very, very, Veeeeerry nice work dude! Its gorgeous!

Also, thanks for the guide, I'll probably not use it myself, but for those that do want to watercool their FT03 it'll be invaluable.

+rep.