1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone FT03 build (now turning into post your pics of FT03 builds thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 8 Feb 2011.

1. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I tried to enter the ROG build comp last year but the java scripts wouldnt work and I couldnt get any photos uploaded. I've used ROG boards on my last three machines and Asus products as far back as I can remember.

If you hold out a little longer I'll try and take some better ones, Maybe take BDigital up on his offer and have some pro shots taken.. I'm happy for you to use the photos though, I have a build log over at Clunk.org.uk but the site was hacked a couple months ago and the guys are struggling to get it back up at the moment.

CLUNK LINK (dead at the moment thou).

Cheers, Sure,

SPECS:
    Silverstone FT03
    i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    Phobya DC12-220
    Asus GTX TITAN
    EK-FCTitan + Backplate
    EK supreme HF full nickel
    Asus Maximus IV gene-z
    G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
    Tygon R-3603
    Bitspower fittings
    EK XT120 RAD
    Magicool 160 RAD
    2x Corsair SP120 HP editions
    2x Noiseblocker Multiframe S-Series M8-S3 HS

I'm in Sheffield, more then happy for you to take some pro shots if you can make the journey?

I had the window made by Tom at ChilledPC. I'd orginally intended to buy another rear case panel (cable access side) and use that as the frame for the window because of the plastic air filter that come on the stock side panel, unfortunately Silverstone sent me the wrong one as I didnt want to wait, so I designed that one in Sketchup and sent it over to ChilledPC. They did a great job but there are a couple chips in the plex (something to do with him not having the correct tool for the job).

I'll happily share the sketchup file with anyone that wants it.

The design was based on Paulie's Project Moonshine he kindly shared his sketchup and I changed it to better fit my layout.

The photos I uploaded yesterday we're quick shots after I'd spent all bloody day getting the Titan on water. It's Asus all round now!

J.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So much power from such a small build! Awesome build BTW Joe! :)

+Rep.

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

So I've pulled out the old Rebel XT SLR and I'm toying around really.. Can't work out the details in Lightroom 4.. wish I had Aperture. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need a macro lens.. I'll add some more, any all advice (on using lightroom, taking a better photo) welcome.

J.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
  4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Interested in dimensions of hole and plex and what of the cost? I think I have somewhere that will cut the case but would be looking for the plastic sheet with the air hole cut-outs. What about fixings, plex to case?

I have had this case sitting about waiting on a buy as I decided it was to bland for my tastes but seeing yours has inspired me.

Please do not suggest cutting the case myself A)I am rubbish at it and B) I only have a small flat.

Any info gratefully received.

5. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Has your side panel come back Kronos?

J.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That is beautiful. I'd love to do that to my FT03, but I am a total klutz with anything involving tools/saws and water-cooling.

I'd pay for that kind of thing though, easily.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have just sent my case side of to Tom at ChilledPC and after an email chat with the aforementioned Tom. It is actually cheaper than you think to get the window cut and Perspex cut and fitted. Like you I am rubbish at cutting so was not going to chance ruining a case because of that.

Might be worth getting in touch with Tom at chilled PC. I'll PM you his email.

Cei likes this.
  9. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

BOOM! Thats ace! thanks so much! The great design of the FT03 allows the mods to be done very easily, as three out of the four sides just pop off its simple to get to all those hard to reach places. head back a few pages on this thread and you'll see my little guide to fitting the rads, 20mins with a Dremel and you're laughing.

I'd like to fit full inside panel mirrors to the front and back panels (when looked at from the true case front) then have the great guys at Pexon PCs braid ALL the cables. I think the elegance of the braided cables with the extra light and look of depth from the mirrors should give it a Tardis effect to the internals.

I wont be upgrading the hardware now for a long while, the 2600K is plenty powerful enough and I'm sure the Titan will be a strong performer for a while.

Thanks for writing it up on the ROG site Bindibadgi, I really appreciate it. I'd love to get another build under way, maybe a ROG themed custom built Parvum project.. Titan SLI and full component WC loop in a M-ATX case..

J.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ignore: double post

Last edited: 13 Apr 2013
  11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry figured it out.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2013
  12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

-- not needed anymore.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2013
  13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Please tell me how to do it again. This time I will make a note of it.doh. Thanks I have figured it out.

14. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

love the build kronos but don't the flashing LEDs give you an almighty headache??

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The feet can be set to one of several patterns and the RAM can be set to several patterns and brightness. I can also switch to an orange colour.

But in answer to your question no the flashing lights do not bother me. I also have sound activated light behind the main monitor.LOL.

16. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

oh lol well i have severe migraines so flashing LEDs of any sort will make my head explode

17. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Beautiful work hack ^^

18. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Okay then fellas, it's time for an update/upgrade to my FT03 build. My DCP2.2 pump/res is starting to fail (I think) I used to have clear turbulence in the res but now it's fading and the pump is crazy hot.. Now that there is a Titan in there I'm not taking any chances so I'm upping the game.

I have an 18w DDC and a spanking new BitsPower plexi top so I've been back to the drawing board and come up with something new I've not seen done in an FT03.

I wanted to put a Loop question passed you.

Which do you think would be better.

Pump--RAD--GPU--CPU--RAD--RES--Pump

or

Pump--RAD--GPU--RAD--CPU--RES--Pump

Currently the DCP2.2 pushes my coolant up to the top 120mm RAD then CPU-GPU-160mm RAD-RES. Thats been great as the CPU gets the coolant at it's coolest (marginally after a couple hours i guess). But with the move to a seperate pump and res I can't retain the same loop direction.

Instead it's going to HAVE to go pump-160mm RAD-GPU---> that way round.. I can retain the same tubing placement (close enough) but it would mean the CPU gets the coolant directly after the GPU, do you think I'll see much of a performance hit here?

The only way (using the new pump/res) to retain the current loop direction would mean the pump would have to flow into the RES first, then a ceiling outlet on the res (using a res tube to pick up coolant from the bottom of the res) suck up and on to the rest of the gear..

Two issues with that will be filling the loop and well.. will the pump create enough of a draw to pull directly up and out the res??

I've also purchased a second SSD and redone all the cable routing.. I'm gonna keep it under wraps until it's finished (currently it's a functioning shell with everything everywhere). I'm hoping to plumb in the new loop end of next week so I'll get some new photos up then.

Appreciate any help.

J.

19. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

In a few weeks I fully intend to be the proud owner of one of these little beauties but I'm unsure which cooler to go for.

I've got myself a shiny new 4670K which is currently sitting under a stock cooler in my old case but, I didn't cough up for a K series for nothing, so I'm going to need something a touch more effective, but that works well in the FT-03.

Until very recently I'd settled on the Corsair H80i as it's powerful, potentially quiet and an AOI cooler lends its self to the tight confines of the case.

Still, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to completely discount air cooling so I though I'd check with you lovely lot in case you could offer any alternative suggestions.

20. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Congrats on your FT03 purchase, If you fancied pushing the boat out a little and making your FT03 stand out you could WC in a similar fashion to that of mine (above). In fact, in a few days I'll have the EK XT120 Rad, EK DCP2.2 RES plus Phobya DC12 220 pump going up on the marketplace, You'd only need a CPU block (might have a EK Supreme HF going up too) and your build would look great plus the cooling would be far more effective then a H80i. At a later date you could add a MagiCool Xtreme 160 (or the BlackIce SR1 160) rad to the base of the case and include your GPU in the loop.

Very minimal mods are required to fit the 120 RAD up the top, you have to drill out a couple rivets to remove a braket but thats it if your starting off with only the one RAD.

I've moved my build along and gone with a new RAD, PUMP, RES and fans. the parts they are replacing are all in full working order and look great.

If you didnt want to try your hand at a custom loop but instead wanted to stick with air cooling, I used to use a Prolimatech SuperMega with a single 140mm pulling air through which allowed me a 4.5Ghz OC on my 2600K. There are some photos of it fitted in the earlier pages of this thread.

Be sure to share your build process, always enjoy looking at new FT03 photos.

J.