1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone FT03 build (now turning into post your pics of FT03 builds thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 8 Feb 2011.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Right - had a little think about this. From a purely heat transfer-based standpoint, I'd go with:

This is because you'd have the opportunity to dissipate a greater amount of heat from the GPU before cooling the CPU, allowing for lower temps throughout. However, I'm concerned that such an approach would require an excess of tubing - I'm struggling to visualise the pipe routing for the moment.

If it's a) elegant and b) feasible, I'd go with this approach though.

2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thanks for your input, I agree that would yield the best performance. I'll be doing my rebuild next weekend (with a little luck) I've since had the new RES mod done and purchased an Alphacool MONSTA 120 to replace the EK 120XT, the monsta is twice the thickness of the EK and performs on par with 240mm rads of a 45mm thickness. it's meant a new window and a lite redesign to the tubing but I feel it's extra performance along with the better aesthetics from the new PUMP and RES will all be worth it.

If I rotate the top RAD so the connection are in the middle of the case rather the far right, I may be able to go PUMP-RAD-GPU-RAD-CPU-RES with some ease.

I'll draw it out, see if it works.

J.

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

[​IMG]

Sneaky peek ;-)

J.

4. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I've had long delays with my braiding but this weekend just gone saw my system drained and the rebuild process begun. photos coming up soon.

J.

5. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

[​IMG]

It's not finished but it's close enough for a quick photo.

J.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2013
  6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's beautiful. I wish I had the time to be able to do this to mine!

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Awesome.

8. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Hi Folks,

Since ROG kindly shared some shots of my build back in April I've given the little beastie a makeover.

Out went the EK XT120 and Magicool 160mm RADs, the EK DCP2.2 pump/Res and Corsair SP120 fans and in came the Alphacool 120 MONSTA, HWLabs Black Ice GTX 160 Micro, AquaComputer Aqua tube, EK DDC 3.2 PWM pump and BP flow indicator. Along with all new tubing, dropped the Tygon for Primochill PrimoFlex LRT. All new fans, swapped the Corsairs for NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-P up top and replaced the NoiseBlocker M8-S3 HS for their PWM siblings the M8-P. The guys over at E22 kindly made me some matching 80mm versions of the FG01 grills and Chilled PC reworked my window design with larger vents down by the PSU and smaller lower placed vents up by the MONSTA only this time in a tinted poly carbonate. Lastly I sent my PSU over to James at PexonPC to give the cables some MDPC-X black/shade19 braided treatment.

Hope you guys like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPECS:

Case-
    Silverstone Fortress FT03
    Custom Front panel (Aquatube)
    Custom Side panel (window)
    2x E22 FG01 120mm grills
    4x E22 FG01 80mm grills
    Custom feet spacers 20mm

Hardware-
    Silverstone ST1000 1KW PSU
    Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z GEN3 MOBO
    Intel i7 2600k @4.5ghz
    Asus GeForce GTX Titan
    Asus Xoner DX2
    2x 4GB SAMSUNG GREEN DDR3 @1866mhz
    OCZ Agility 3 240gb SSD (Games)
    Plextor M5 Pro 256gb (Windows)
    Seagate 3TB Barracuda (Data)

Cooling-
    2x NOISEBLOCKER NB-eLoop B12-P 120mm (Top RAD)
    4x NOISEBLOCKER S-Series M8-P (Bottom RAD)
    ALPHACOOL NexXxoS Monsta 120 RAD
    HWLabs BLACK ICE GTX GEN TWO XTREME MICRO 160 RAD

Aqua Computer AQUATUBE RES + AquaJet
    EK DDC 3.2 PWM Pump
    Bitspower Plexi Top

EK FC-TITAN + Backplate Nickel/Acetal
    EK Supremacy Clean Nickel/Acetal

Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing (1/2"ID 3/4"OD)
    1ltr EK-Ekoolant Blood RED
    All fittings are Bitspower Black Sparkle.

J.

9. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

J, that looks great mate!

Packs a punch specwise too!

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's beautiful. ChilledPC have put a window on my FT03 as well (air vents only at the bottom down by PSU for intake), and I'm happy with the whole thing. Watercooling just seems to take it to another level.

11. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I've taken it a step further, Picked up a 16x2 Matrix Orbital USB display with the intention of fabing a mount for it making use of the FT03 Optical drive bay mounting point in the case.

[​IMG]

So that came a couple weeks after ordering, so I measured up and jumped on Sketchup. I recreated the display in Sketchup then made a frame. I took that into a clients of mine who'd just bought a MakerBot. It was our first time messing around with the 3D printer and so printered the WHOLE thing... display'n'all (oops).

[​IMG]

Removed the supports and binned the printed screen.... fits like a glove.

[​IMG]

Picked up some auto filler and applied a rather rough coat. It was my intentioned to use this one as a proof of concept to then later print a better frame and spend a little more time on it..

[​IMG]

hahaha, yup, LOTS of filler.. then i attacked it with some sand paper.

[​IMG]

Still pretty uneven so I repeated the process a couple more times building it up in areas. Then did a few primer boats, sanded it down and hit it with black.

[​IMG]

At this point I was happy to see that the filler and paint were not corrosive to the PLA. so I cut down the bolts and fitted the screen. it push fit perfectly onto the drive mount in the case and I hooked it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Job done. I've since printed a second one but decided against swapping it out.

J.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2014
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

13. Nikozii

Nikozii What's a Dremel?

WaterCooled FT03 !

Here is my project log. If your intrested, go and check it out!
    Will make separate box for one big 480 -rad and that kind fun stuff. :)

14. CdnGhost

CdnGhost What's a Dremel?

Hey Joe, what are your temps like under load? I have the same case and the same 160mm rad but a different upper rad, I am using the Black Ice GTX 120mm. I couldn't use the same rad you have as due to its height it was in the way of my waterblock...

I have a i7-4770K currently water cooled average temps in BF4 are around 60ish @ 4.4ghz wiht a voltage of 1.25. I want to add my GTX 780 to the loop but will I need anymore rads or will what I have suffice If I don't plan on keeping my overclock?

15. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Howdo,

I used to use a 35mm EK 120 RAD up top with a pair of corsair SP120's in push/pull, I've always used push pull on both rads. my 2600k is clocked at 4.5ghz (1.23v) and temps have always been pretty good, the CPU with the old top rad would max out about 55-60'c (that was with a GTX 670 in the same loop). I moved to a larger top rad soon after I put the GTX titan in. Both CPU and GPU now dont push past 50'c under full load.

I found that even with the 670 and the smaller 120mm top rad the tubes and rad would get bloody hot! and that pushed me to work out a different way to route the loop in search of better temps. I used to use a magicool 160mm but moved to the black ice 160 when I swapped out the top EK rad for the monsta.

I'd think you'd need to make some changes if you introduce your 780 to the loop. little things like push and pull fan config on both rads will help, ensure you have good RPM/CFM fans too. I use SpeedFan to control the RPMs so at idle the system is quiet, temps idle around 27'c-30'c depending on room temp. In SpeedFan I control the RPM's based on the GPU temp. once the GPU hits 35'c the fans ramp up to 60% and once at 45'c they are at 100%.

It takes a warm room and ALOT of gaming to push the GPU temp passed 50'c now and both the rads and tubing remain warm to the touch (not HOT as before). CPU's can handle a fair amount of heat so unless your pushing 70'c on the CPU temp once you introduce the 780 I'd not worry to much.

Post some shots of your build maybe we can help a little more.

Both the Monsta 120 and the black ice 160 took more modding to fit then the magicool 160 and EK 120 but it's totally worth it. The monsta is the largest 120mm RAD on the market and performs like a 240mm RAD it covers 40% of my CPU block but there is enough room to use some 45' angle fittings.

Hope I've helped.

J.

16. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Changed it again..

The LED strips had yellowed so Pexon sent me some replacements plus an internal USB to Micro USB cable for the Matrix Orb screen. I wanted a change a really liked the look of Mayhems coolants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its a much brighter build now, there are two metres of LED strips in there now and the pump top LED are now white. The Mayhems pastel red settled really quickly very few micro bubbles and I had no vortex issues this time round.

J.

17. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Time for a new build.

J.

18. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

:jawdrop: Utterly, utterly drool-worthy! :jawdrop:

Looking into buying an FT03 myself, even though they're getting on a bit, they still look stunning, though unfortunately mine won't be L/C'd ... yet ....