1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone LC17B-USB3 HTPC Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craigp84, 6 Jan 2013.

1. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

I picked up one of these from Scan last week: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-lascala-sst-lc17b-usb-30-black-desktop-htpc-case-(w-o-psu)

I'm really impressed with it for the money.

Pros:
    • Cheap for a brand name HTPC case at just over £80 delivered
    • Looks quite respectable in the flesh, from Scans pictures I wasn't 100% sure if it'd ruin my boring staid black look I've got going on under the telly, but I needn't have worried, it just blends in
    • The 2 supplied exhaust fans are quite efficient at moving air, they're not too loud either, I'd rate them 6/10 overall
    • Everything is sensibly spaced apart inside, there's no funny business like not enough space between psu and drives etc. that happens with other cases
    • No sharp edges, all the pressed metal parts have rolled edges
    • Everything screws together, no rivets and limited welds, the case is perfectly sturdy even so. Handy for modders or painters...
    • The cd drive part works well - your drive mounts inside the case and a small trim panel is double sided taped onto your drives tray to maintain the clean external finish. Caution, the tape has the strongest adhesive I've come across on tape, do not let it grab until you're perfectly happy with the fit!

Cons:
    • The blue LEDs for power and HDD activity are too bright, I've left them disconnected
    • The front fan mount area for cooling the HDDs (located behind the black trim panel on the front, but in front of the metal chassis) is encroached on at the bottom by the front panel switches, it just means the fan has to be mounted at the very top of the space for it, a bit fiddly but nothing too bad
    • If you have a graphics card of any size, you will need to lose the middle stack of 3 HDDs holder, this leaves another 3 x 3.5 though so it's fine for me
    • The USB3 ports are provided by a removable 3.5" panel, I've removed this and replaced with a card reader, this means there are 0 USB ports on the front which is probably my strongest gripe with this case

All in all a pretty decent case for the money. If you can source the old usb2 version for more than £10 cheaper than this, then choose that as the USB3 functionality can be easily added yourself for less than £10.