1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply Bawls... *Update 11/6/05**Paint N' Things!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sHuLtZy, 8 Jun 2005.

1. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

Hi everyone! This is my first official post on bit-tech though I feel like I know this place pretty well. I have watched many of these amazing projects from the shadows and finally decided to contribute back :D

This is my first real entire case mod, I tried one before but that was just to learn the ropes a lil bit.

I'm only 17 so don't expect a lot of high end hardware and fancy equipment. Usually what you will see me do can be done with a dremel as it is my favorite tool of choice :dremel:

Without further adieu I bring you my first project: Simply Bawls...

Ok, I actually started this mod a lil while back, but thanks to school and such I haven't been able to do a whole lot of work on it till now.

Here's the victim:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an old hp case that I rescued from my dad's office when they were remodeling then entire place. It's a bit of an oddie in the fact that it has a type of door in the front and actually has individual removable drive bays. I was a bit surprised when I saw this since it is quite an old HP. Also, it's one of the only HP's that I have seen where the side panel actually opens from the top.

It's overall shape and roundness led me to think of one thing, Bawls.... corse that might just be since I love the stuff :D

Anyways, tomarrow I should be able to upload some more pics and start showin off some of my work and *hopefully* it will be up to snuff with the bit-tech crowd :cooldude:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2005
  2. chuckmo

chuckmo New Member

Good luck kid :thumb:

3. barbz

barbz New Member

Hey, do u have ne plans, or sketches of what u wanna do with it. Is it gunna be a theme or r u just going for somthing that looks shweet, good luck :D

4. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

Update

Ok, here is my first update even though I did it quite a while back:

I took a few more pics just of the case to possible think of some window ideas:

Front:
    [​IMG]

Front side panel:
    [​IMG]

Back side panel:
    [​IMG]

Inside:
    [​IMG]

My first idea when I studied the bawls bottle was that I wanted to incorporate the entire bottle. By this I mean use all the features of it. The most obvious thing you see when you look at the bawls bottle is the lil bumps all over it to give it some grip.

[​IMG]

So, I set my mind to it.... how could i replicate these bumps??
    A soulution presents itself: :D
    [​IMG]

These are a bunch of lil PVC end caps, just bought at home depot for like 30 cents apiece. Now I just had to cut all the lil tops off, so I set up a simple lil jig with my trusty dremel :dremel:

PVC end cap with end on:
    [​IMG]

PVC end cap cutting:
    [​IMG]

PVC end cap cut:
    [​IMG]

Fairly simple process and it makes a nice smooth cut all the way round :thumb: Just had to repeat bout 16 times

Ok now I just wanted to pop em on there fast and check out what they would look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see how much they bulge up, just about right.
    [​IMG]

Now I still need to sand em down, clean up the edges a bit and figure out the correct spacing to mount em, but I quite happy with the outcome so far. Also notice that I put em only on the top part fo the case. See, this case has two bulges therefore I want it to look like the bottem of the bawls bottle where it's blank at the end.

Look for another update fairly soon :D

Last edited: 8 Jun 2005
  5. Headspark

Headspark New Member

just like a darlik dude, dr who theme, im so going to do it if you dont!

6. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

OMG that's scary ;) Nice idea man!

7. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

thats a great little idea there man. Supply of that drink is so limited around my area that i havent even gotten to try it but i like the thoughts so far. Are you planning to follow the color too? How about internal mods; will we see anything there?

8. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

sounds fine to me andy, i never even seen it, though i googled it and figured out what you were talkin bout. im goin for a strait bawls theme so help yourself to this if ya want :thumb:

9. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

Arkuden, yeah, im workin on finding the right color right now, testing out a few different ones, gotta get it as close as possible, as far as internal mods i definately think i'll come up with somthing, though i don't have the $$ for nice comp parts, all that goes towards my main comp, but i'm workin on a few ideas to incorporate the actual bottle inside. :D

10. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

[​IMG]

OK, stick a plunger in the end and put some wheels under it. "Exterminate! Exterrrminate!!!" :D

11. jackjr

jackjr New Member

You know what else would be a cool idea for those side bumps? If you could somehow offset them from the side of the case, install whichever color LED under em.. Make sense?

12. Headspark

Headspark New Member

simple..water cooling res??

13. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

hey jackjr, you read my mind, i already have that in the works and it is comin out very nicely, just slow down there hehe :D

heres a lil teaser for the bumps:
    [​IMG]

14. deadly-app

deadly-app New Member

Going along with jackjr's idea...

Get plexiglass(1/4"?), cut to same diameter as pvc caps, glue and light underneath pvc ;)

would look absolutely kickass.

15. Headspark

Headspark New Member

yea, i see what you guys mean now, pretty good,

..subscribed!

16. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

look for an update possibly tonight. any ideas on where i can get a bulk of leds and resisters? i was probably gonna use http://www.lsdiodes.com/ but not sure if they are the cheapest. any suggestions?

17. jerb111

jerb111 New Member

18. sHuLtZy

sHuLtZy New Member

whoa... thats 100 leds /w resisters for $16? :eeek:

19. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I like the little bumps. I will be defiantly be subscribing to this to entertain me over this summer. I have an idea, I've never had any Bawls but if has some nice looking cap on it with the logo on it I could see a nice looking Power Button, also I can't seem to figure out what all the crap is under the drive bays on the front.

20. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 New Member

sweet idea man!

the old bawls rep that used to come to quakecon all the time had his truck painted the bawls blue. Sadly it is a custom color but you should be able to get close to it.

Whatever you do, make sure its clearcoated so its nice and shiny :)

Keep up the good work

Vazz